Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mouzer Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jan 18, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Dog won't stop barking!
    My dog just won't try barking!! He's an american bulldog and he is pretty lazy.. I tried everything! I tried to see if he needs attention, if he needs to go outside, if he's hungry(or thirsty), and if he wants a spot to sit down... NOTHING worked!! PLEASE HELP ME

Thanks
    --------------------
    J
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2007, 05:05 PM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

Neuter him if not already. The above are fundamental techniques I suggest for almost all behavior problems and should help with barking too. The truth is, Labs usually don't bark that much and I don't methods of controlling barking that I have been successful using. It isn't even in the manual for them. The manual does have a suggested reading list which I put in the sticky at the top of the dog forum. Right now, I am working on The Other End of the Leash by Patrica McDonnell.

She suggests the first step is not to yell at the dog. After all, usually if one dog starts to bark, any others around will to. So yell at your dog when it barks and it is happy to have you bark with it. Quietly tell it enough and walk over to it with a treat, doesn't need to be very big. Let him know you have it and use it to lure him away from what he is barking at if anything, and praise him as he shifts his attention to the treat and away from barking. Once away from where he was barking, give him the treat.

Unlike much of my other advice, this is not something I have tried and found works. It does come from a reliable source and I would trust it more than something I found on a website I know little about. I just hope he isn't smart enough to figure out if he barks, he gets a treat plus your attention.

It is my daughter's book. I will see how she makes out with the little terrier mix they have that is a barker. The book was a Christmas present, and he was still barking when they were here at New Years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop my dog from peeing all over my house! [ 18 Answers ]

I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes...

Dogs won't stop marking things in the house [ 7 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me what is the best way to break my chihuahuha's (2 males)from marking their territory in the house?

Dog barking at 7 am~any advice? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi again, I posted a few weeks ago because my new shelter rescue dog, Barkley, (a small-ish one year old lab mix) was having diarrhea in the middle of the night. Luckily that is all resolved now, thank goodness! He sleeps through the night, in his crate, which we keep in our bedroom. Now he's...

My old aged dog won't stop drinking [ 6 Answers ]

My dog who is 16 years old just won't stop drinking water. We will fill his bowl up and he will drink it until its all gone. He will even get that desperate to have a drink that he will go try and drink out of the toilet which he has not done since he was a puppy

My boyfriend won't stop! [ 34 Answers ]

As of right now I am 6 months pregnant. From about January I have struggled with my boyfriends drug habits. I went through a lot trying to get him to stop and he said he did, but come later to find out he has never stopped. I ask him constantly if he still does them, which of course he says no. I...

View more questions Search