Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaitocl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 07:30 AM
    MA state taxes. Wife ineligible for SSN and ITIN.
    I am a F1 student from Chile. My wife is in F2 status (also from Chile).

I file federal taxes as nonresident (hence I can not file jointly with my wife) using my SSN.
    Since my wife has no income and only files form 8843 and can not be claimed as dependent (there is no tax treaty with Chile) she is not eligible for ITIN (of course, she is not eligible for SSN either). In fact she can not even apply since for applying you need to file W7 along with some federal tax form that requires her to have an ITIN, justifying her application.

For federal taxes this is fine (you CAN file only 8843 without ITIN), but for MA state taxes they ask for either SSN or ITIN. (We file state taxes as nonresident married filing jointly)

What should we do?
    Can we file MA form 1-NR/PY without ITIN for her?
    Or can she apply for ITIN in another way? (without a federal tax form that requires it)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
    You CANNOT file the Massachusetts return jointly, because you did NOT file that way on the federal return and, as you noted, your wife has NO ITIN.

You have to file the Massachusetts return MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY, insert your wife's name and put "NRA" (for Non-Resident Alien) where her SSN would go. This Massachusetts state return MUSt be mailed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L2 wife and chlild SSN/ITIN and tax [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on L1B visa in Aug 2010. My wife and 2 yr child is on L2. I have SSN; but wife and child does not. For applying for SSN, here is what I found: 1. Wife needs Marriage certificate, which is back in India. 2. For child, SSN office asked for EAD. (Yes, for 2 yr old kid!) which has...

Filing using my ITIN and my wife wit SSN [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is a US citizen and I am not a resident, if we file jointly do we qualify for any credits? i.e. earned income credit, child tax credit etc...

NY State Return -Wife No SSN/ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

I am filing 1040NREZ for the year 2007 as Married Non Resident Alien, inputting my SSN. I need to file NY State Return as non resident to get the refund. I have to file as "Married filing separately" only. But in the state return, what should I write for spouse SSN/ITIN since she has none of this?...

L1 with SSN and wife NR no SSN or ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am also furnishing some more information for the questions I asked to get the corect answer 1) I arrived at US on 26th August 2007 on L1 visa 2) I have got an SSN 3) My W2 states that my taxable married status is 'Single' 4) My wife has L2 visa and a resident indian and has never visited...

I am on L1 having SSN, wife is on L2 having ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

I am on L1 having SSN, wife is on L2 having ITIN. I am working in a software firm, but wife is not working. I understand that I have to file jointly with my wife as a dependent. 1. Is my assumption right that, I have file jointly ? 2. What is the best practice to increase my tax exemptions ?...

View more questions Search