Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 09:46 PM
    How do you find protein concentration?
    Hello all,
    I'm working on some stuff and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as I have a test and this is the only question I can't seem to get.

"Five microliters of a 10-to-1 dilution of a sample were added to 5ml of Bradford reagent. The absorbance at 595nm was 0.78 and, according to a standard curve, cooresponds to 0.015mg of protein on the x-axis. What is the protein concentration of the original solution?"

I was thinking about using Beers Law to calculate the concentration of the new solution given that A=ElC. But, I'm not sure of extinction coefficient. Next I would try and use C1V1=C2V2. But I'm not sure if it even wants me to use Beers Law given the standard curve statement.

Another thing I've tried is to use the mass of the protein in some odd number of ml to find the concentration of the new solution and using that to find the concentration.

In both methods I seem to get trapped about halfway through.

Any help would be AMAZING!!

Thanks!
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Feb 22, 2011, 09:04 PM
    Your data gives the amount of protein in the diluted sample. You say it's a 10:1 dilution so I guess the original aolution is 10 times the new concentration. However that would seem to be an impossibly large concentration. Work it out and see for yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find the concentration of the original undiluted cerium sulfate solution? [ 1 Answers ]

find the concentration in moles per liter( mol L^-1) and in grams per liter( gL^-1) of the original undiluted cerium sulfate solution? H2O2 + 2 H^(1+) +2Ce^(2+) ====> 2H2O + 2Ce^(3+) A solution of cerium (II) sulfate was analysed by the following steps: I) 50.00 mL of the solution was...

How can I find the molal concentration of a solution and molar mass of a solid? [ 3 Answers ]

A sample of 10.00g of a solid unknown was dissolved in 25.00g of water. Pure water freezes at 0.0 degrees C and the solution freezes at -5.58oC How can I find the molal concentration of the solution? And the molar mass of the solid?

Protein haemoglobin and protein collagen [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me anything about protein haemoglobin and portein collagen or were I can find any information on the two

View more questions Search