Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmbogner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
    Can a 501c3 hire a consultant to raise money for the organization? If so, can the con
    Can a 501c3 hire a consultant to raise money for the organization? If so, can the consultatnt be paid a percentage of what is raised and are there limitations as to what the consultant fees are?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbogner View Post
    Can a 501c3 hire a consultant to raise money for the organization?
    Yes, of course. There are lots of consultants who specialize in working with non-profits to develop fund raising plans. There are also companies that will actually run the fund raiser.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbogner View Post
    If so, can the consultant be paid a percentage of what is raised and are there limitations as to what the consultant fees are?
    Yes. But charities that go this way tend to get low marks from the various rating agencies because less of the money donated is actually used for the stated purpose. I would strongly suggest that you use your own constituents to do your fund raising - management, board members, and volunteers. These are the people who know and understand your organization and can talk to potential donors from the heart, so to speak. If you use an outside consultant to actually raise money the board and management really need to keep a tight rein to ensure that this person treats your constituents well and doesn't give you a bad reputation. Unlike a volunteer, a consultant is motivated only by money and may come across as too pushy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2011, 08:00 PM

Agreed, yes they can but as stated, when the books of the charity is reviewed those groups that rate a charity don't rate these highly. What is looked at closely is the amount of donations that go directly to help those, and the amount of overhead.

For example many of the "car donation" places are merely middle men who take the cars, and sell them and then a percentage goes to the charity. ( often a very small percentage)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Review a contract between a 501c3 organization and a LLC? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get a access to the nuts and bolts of a contract to review performance of the contractor/vendor? Between a 501c3 organizations an LLC

How much income can a 501c3 organization take in each year without paying taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a limit on income from rentals or fund raisers to keep the 501(C) (3).

Where do I find an organization that helps people raise money for personal goals? [ 3 Answers ]

I have heard of organizations where you can register your personal need and see if charitab le individuals will respond to your plea with private donations and/or loans. I have heard this on NPR and seen it on TV, like the Today show but did not pay close attention. If you know of an...

501c3 Organization [ 2 Answers ]

Who can demand to see an organizastions 501c# By-Laws and Constitution? General public or members only of the organiation?

View more questions Search