Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LinfieldPA Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Jan 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Strain on a PVC drain connection?
    In plumbing a PVC drain system, I'm wondering how much strain can be put on the assembly in order to get proper slopes, connect fittings, etc.

Here's an over-simplified example just to illustrate the point:
    Say you have a toilet at one end of a bathroom, and a stack 8 feet away at the other end.
    You have a 90deg elbow out of the toilet and towards the stack, an 8-foot straight piece of pipe, and then another 90deg elbow from the pipe and down into the top of the stack (again, oversimplified for illustration).

If you solvent-weld the elbow on top of the stack directed towards the toilet (based on reference marks), but you are off say a deg or two so that a straight pipe out of that elbow will be 2 or 3 inches to the left or right of the toilet elbow, is it acceptable to torque the whole assembly in order to make the connection, or will that force, over time, cause a leak? If this is really NOT acceptable, how would you go about actually ensuring that the angles are precisely correct when glueing? (Another example might be forcing a slope in a pipe that, when glued, maybe had less than the slope required).

Thank you so much for any help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 19, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Putting a continuous strain on any joint is not good practice.
    If you have a 8' run to the stack you will set the center of the fitting on the stack at 2" below the center line of the elbo under the toilet. Normal slope is 1/4" to the foot, Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak between sink & pvc connection [ 2 Answers ]

I recently installed a new sink in my bathroom. I bought new waste pvc pipes and installed them from the sink to the wall. I thought it was all working fine but I noticed that at the top of where the pvc pipe connects to the metal sink pipe I have seepage. Basically the water is not pouring out,...

Pvc drain flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm remodeling a shower and after putting in the shower I realized I forgot to use the fiber gasket.Do I have to rip the shower back out?:o

Solid pvc connection [ 4 Answers ]

I think normally a 3" tee has about an inch and a quarter depth to join with the actual pipe, how much of that would be the minimum I can get away with and still have a good bond?

PVC to old copper drain [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know the best way to transition a 2" ABS pipe to a 1.5" copper drain pipe. The 2" drain will be attached to a shower drain. An image of the current drain system is attached. Originally, I was planning to use the copper to ABS adapter sold at HD. Would there be any issue...

PVC to Copper connection [ 1 Answers ]

The 3/4 in PVC pipe comes to the house and joints to a 3/4 inch copper pipe. The PVC connector has cracked and we have a big leak. How to replace the connector? If the PVC pipe is a straight piece what will seal the water from leaking out. Copper side looks solid. Should there be a O...

View more questions Search