Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HostDad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Host family for foreign student with no 1099
    We receive compensation as a host family for two foreign students. The school that issues the check to us says that their CPA has advised them that issuing a 1099 is not necessary and they will not be sending us one. Do we have to report this income anyway? If so, where?

Host families are expected to provide 24/7 care in addition to room and meals--like doctors visits, assistance with homework, use of the computer/Internet, spiritual guidance, transportation to/from school and after-school events, church, and social functions. So there are a lot of expenses incurred. How are these reported--especially transportation?

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 11:21 AM
    If you report the income, it would be on Line #21 of Form 1040.

However, the "income" is in fact reimbursement for expenses incurred from hosting the foreign student. Under that concept, the income is NOT taxable income, nor are the expenses you incurred tax deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hosting foreign student [ 5 Answers ]

I asked if the payment received for hosting a foreign student is a taxable income. I got a reply that it is a tax-free transaction since the payment is a reimbursement of costs. If the payment is more than the actual cost, is it still a non-taxable transaction?

How does the host family report the income? [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to host a foreign student at home. It is through a private route, not through school. The parent of the student will pay me directly for room & board. 1) Is the income taxable? 2) Do I have to depreciate the house? (I prefer not to) 3) Is there any expense not deductible on the contrary...

Foreign student in US [ 1 Answers ]

I am a vietnamese foreign student,I can not afford to pay the school for the high tuition;but I want to stay because I have a boy friend he promise to marry me(he has US citizen) can I stay in US if I ge married with him? May immigartion status are out since I did not attend the school lately.The...

How to become Foreign Exchange Student [ 4 Answers ]

Well I have always been interested in other countries. I think it is really cool how our lives are totally different and what we depend on. I am interested in becoming a FES. I found a site that does it but its like over 12 thousand dollars. Is there any sites that do it for free or cheaper?...

Foreign student in usa? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... The past couple of days I've been researching a lot on how to get to USA t study... Only.. I have a huge problem. I'm 18... I only completed one year of technical high school here in Denmark before I.. dropped out.. Or, well.. I'm taking a break. But now I really regret it because I want...

View more questions Search