Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anindyakg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 10:46 PM
    Did not get paid in 2010, do I need to file tax returns?
    Hi,

I am a foreign national currently in US on work visa. I arrived here at the end of Nov 2010, and got my first paycheck in January'2011. My arrears for 2010 was paid with the January salary. As such, I did not get any W-2 from my employer either. My question is, do I need to file tax returns since I was not paid in 2010 and did not get a W-2?

Thanks,
    Andy
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 10:32 AM
    You are a cash basis taxpayer, which means you pay taxes on earned income when you GET it, NOT when you earn it.

This being the case, you have NO requirement to file a tax return of ANY type for 2010.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was in US from June 1 st 2010 to 31st July 2010 on L1 . I need to file tax return. [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get refund ? Is it possible to file online ?

Tax returns 2010 for stay less than 180 days [ 1 Answers ]

HI, I am from India and I am currently working in USA on H1 visa. I am still in USA. My stay in US will be is 139 days for Dec 31 2009. I am working in Oregon state. Am I eligible for any tax returns? In which status should I apply the tax returns

L1 visa - first time filing tax returns 2010 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came from India to US in 2009 April on L1 visa and have been working here since then. My spouse and kid joined in Nov 2009. Spouse is not working but she has got SSN but not for kid. My wages as per W2 for the period I was here this year is just under 40K. I would like to know 1. What all...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

View more questions Search