Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guluoguawen Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 10:43 AM
    Student tax return questions - Many thanks in advance!
    My daughter is a student and made some money in spare time via tutoring SAT MCAT. I would appreciate very much if any one could give me advice on the following questions:

1. My daughter filed tax return for 2009 independently - i.e. I did not claim her exemption. Can I claim her exemption and the tuition and fees in 1040 for 2010 though she made some money by herself?

2. She received a few 1099 misc for her income but most money was received as cash or personal checks. How can she prove how much she earned in 2010 for the purpose of filing 2010 tax return?

Huge thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
    Hopefully she kept track on how much she got paid, because what she did was in fact operate a small business as a tutor. That means she must file Form 1040 with a Schedule C and Schedule SE.

As long as she is in school and provided youprovided more han half of her total support, you can claim her as a dependent and claim the education credits or deduction for her tuition and fees.

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected].
    guluoguawen Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 11:28 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thank you so much for your advice! She may need to find a local tax filler to file her return.

Best regards!

AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 08:29 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 student tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I was a student and graduated 2008 May. My OPT started Sep 2, 2008. I got my first Job on Feb 2, 2009. My employer applied H1 for me on Apr 1, 2009. My OPT ended July 13, 2009. I got H1 and effectively started 1st Oct, 2009. Now I got one W2 form from my employer. I have paid my Fed...

Questions on filing tax return on 2008 for F-1 student [ 2 Answers ]

I am an F-1 visa holder from Hong Kong since 2002 and I present in America for the past four years (whole year). Should I file 1040nr as nonresident allen same as last year? I am working as opt now and my employer withholds Fed, Fed Med/EE and CA taxes in my pay check. But I heard international...

Student tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to fill out my tax return and I have a few questions. This is the first return I am filing on my own so please bear with me... I am in graduate school, out of state (Indiana). I lived in PA with my parents. Am I considered a full time resident of PA or a part time resident? I...

F-1 Student Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody. I have a question to ask. I'm currently in Indiana going to school for about two years now. (before I was in Utah going to school for 2 1/2 years) Last summer, I did my internship at lisle, Illnois for three months. Now, where do I have to file my state income tax &...

Tax return in student status [ 3 Answers ]

Iam currently in H1b and filed taxes for the year 2004 and 2005. I was a student -F1 visa in 2003 and first half of 2004. I didn't know that I had to file tax return since I did not work and not get paid during my entire student year. What is my recousre now, sholud I file tax return for year...

View more questions Search