Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eggs Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 08:22 AM
    How much should I feed my 5 month old Lab?
    I feed my 5 month old Lab 2 cups of food each morning, and night. Is that the correct amount?

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2007, 08:39 AM
    That sounds a little high, but averages and charts mean nothing. You go by the body condition of the dog and adjust the food and exercise as needed. http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx has all you need to check him yourself. Next time you are at the vet's, you might ask the vet to confirm your judgment.

Most Labs will gulp down more than they need and look for more. Feeding too much of too rich of a diet can mess up a large breed dog's hips and other joints. Besides cutting back on how much you are feeding if needed, switch to an adult chow now. Even the large breed puppy chows are too much ''get big fast'' and not the best for sturdy joints. The adult version of whatever you are feeding should be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Delaware month to month tenant notification of moving out [ 2 Answers ]

Information on the Delaware notification of intent to vacate premises for month to month Tenants. Property management office states you need to give them sixty day notice And then I heard you only have to get a 30 day notice which is it. :confused: royal

9 month lab teeth cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month black lab has got one really bad tooth. He has nylabones that he chews on a regular basis only on one side of his mouth. The other side seems to have everything stick to it. One tooth in particular is really bad in terms of plaque on it... any suggestions for keeping his teeth clean?

8 month old lab has bowel problems [ 3 Answers ]

Ever since I brought my puppy home with me at 7 weeks old, she's had diarrhea stools. Sometimes it's better, sometimes, it's worse. She's not sick or anything, she acts like a normal crazy puppy. I had a country vet who treated her for worms, then giardia, and then suggested I switch food. None...

6 month old lab eating adult food? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I recently got a black lab from a breeder. He is 6 months old and was being fed iams lamb and rice adult dog food (1.5 cups a day). My question is this the correct food for my dog. The vet said to switch him to a large breed puppy food. I am confused as to who's advice I should take. Any...

My 4 month old Lab puppy won't eat [ 5 Answers ]

My 4 months old Lab won't eat his dog food. This has been happening over the past 3 weeks and we have taken him to the vet, who doesn't know why he isn't eating. He has an appetite and will eat treats and pretty much anything BUT his puppy chow. We even bought Iams (he was getting purina puppy...

View more questions Search