Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leeleelu2112 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 05:22 AM
    Shin splints or tight calf muscles?
    I have been going to the gym for the last 5 months and have lost 7 kilo's. I recently started running on the treadmill (about a month ago), and now I have pain in my legs. The pain is so bad at times that I can't even walk up or down stairs. It is like a stabbing pain which runs right up the middle of my leg, and it is affecting my knee and hip joints. I have been to 2 pediotrists, and one said I have shin splints, and the other said I have tight calf muscles. I have done what they have told me to do (various stretches and warm ups) and have bought a new pair of runners. But I am still getting the pain. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 05:33 AM

You have it a little backwards. The hip and knee joint is affected first, and then impacts on muscles, ligaments and tendons taking the brunt and trying to keep up with the trauma done to the joints. Not unusual. You probably had a little arthritis in there. Concentrate on getting your joints back in shape. I suggest glucosomine/controindtin supplement which gets the joints more lubrication again. It isn't an instant fix but it will help. You could try wrap on your knee while working out to take the strain off.

If it is a touch of arthritis (join the club of many) then all you can do is take an anti inflammatory over the counter med like advil, motrin. You will find the one that suits you best.

Mind you I am not disputing the doctors.
    Tick
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
    Sorry to bring up the obvious, but are you drinking tons of water?
    Next might be to try an OTC leg cramp medicine that contains quinine. It won't hurt to try it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you know if you have a stress fracture or just shin splints? [ 3 Answers ]

To Anyone who has a clue about running injuries Last week I was running an interval workout when my calf began to tighten up. I have had a stress fracture before, but this did not feel anything like that. The pain is purely in the muscel and I do not have any tender spots throughout my tibia...

Tight muscles [ 3 Answers ]

Is there something I can eat that will loosen or lubricate tight muscles?

What is he best way to tone calf muscles [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I'm getting into shape and was wondering how to make my calf muscles nice and strong. Thanks

Shin splints? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know if I have a stress fracture in my leg or just have shin splints?

Preventing Shin Splints [ 5 Answers ]

My avatar might have already given it away, but I like to Irish dance. I stretch, warm up, then stretch again before practicing, but I still get painful shin splints. The area on the inside right along my shin bone hurts really badly after I work out for 30 minutes. I can't seem to isolate...

View more questions Search