Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malkaxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 11:59 PM
    Am I too fat to exercise?
    I went to the doctor for the first time in 4 years and he told me I am dangourasly morbidly obese and need to lose weight imedietly.

{advert removed}
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 12:10 AM

He probably took your BMI index which seems to be a deal breaker and gyms use that little machine to make you feel really bad. HealthCanada doesn't recognize the BMI index any more because standards of changed. You can actually be quite healthy a little overweight as they now realize.

Exercise and diet is the only way and no one is too fat to exercise if you start slow by walking a lot. You would be surpirsed what a different a daily walk makes.

Tick
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2011, 04:05 AM

Check out your local swimming pool for low impact classes in the water.

The water takes the pressure off your joints and its an easy way to start exercising.

Ask an instructor about what movements to start with.

Start cutting the junk from your diet and drink water.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2011, 05:59 AM

Just to add to the wonderful advice from the other posters... don't worry if you can only walk for 10 minutes or so at first. Maybe the goal will be down the street and back to start with. Then gradually build from there.

You need to be realistic... it took quite a bit of time to get where you are, it will take time to get where you want to be.

Too often people start with good intentions and try to do too much too quickly. Then they get discouraged and give up.

The key is to get moving in some way every day, start slowly, stick with it, build up gradually, and pay attention to your intake of food and drink along with it... that includes what you have and how much you have.

Take inventory of your kitchen and see where you can make some changes. As tick and red said, even small changes will make a difference.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 19, 2011, 06:32 AM

Morbidly obese is a term gleaned from the BMI index; probably doesn't mean as bad as it sounds. According to the BMI index, a person weighing in at l80 lbs can be called morbidly obese. So go figure. What a downer when it is done at a gym !

If anyone knows the Wii workout programme, they will have been assessed every day by the little Wii person before the workout saying YOU ARE OBESE ! At l50 lbs. I stopped doing it every day because I couldn't stand being told by that cartoon character that I was obese every morning without fail. Go figure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much exercise does a adolescent need to do to burn 12g of fat? [ 6 Answers ]

Im just wondering how much exercise does a adolescent need to do to burn 12g of fat & how long will it take to work it off?

If an athlete weighs 153 and has 15.0 body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat doe [ 2 Answers ]

If an athlete weighs 153lb and has 15.0% body fat by weight, how many pounds of fat does the athlete's body contain?

Exercise to reduce excess fat on upper arms [ 1 Answers ]

What are the exercises to reduce excess fat on upper arms?

How to burn fat (esp tummy area) when can't do vigorous exercise? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been having a knee problem for more than 2 months already, have gone for physio but still not all right. I can't jog or do any activities which strains or applies pressure to my joints. At the same time, my tummy keeps getting bigger and bigger! I'm considered on the 'thin' side, majority...

View more questions Search