Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srlee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 10:35 PM
    Can I received half of my husband's ssi lump sum?
    I am presently separated from my husband, and he is waiting for ssi to determine his disablitiy settement with lump sum (back pay). We have been struggling for years while he had heart issues and finally he had another attack and couldn't work anymore. The last year I have been paying all the bills and holding on, but can't hold on anymore. I find him spending un needed money and not being mindful of my daughter and I an many areas of life so I left him. We will not be divorcing but, I don't want to allow him to walk all over us as he had.

I really wanted to know, because we are still married and I have been with him over 17 years especially throughout his illness and SSI denied him the 1st time over 4 years ago and we got lawyers this time working on a new case. What happens when get approved and the lump sum should be big, can I get half? For my daughter and I have struggled with him and dealing without him having an income for years.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 18, 2011, 10:57 PM
    The lump sum goes to him. I can't imagine a way to force him to pay you half or any amount without filing for divorce. Did you file a formal separation?
    cga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
    If I only receive a small amount of ssi can I change it to receive 1/2 of my husband's ssi.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I owe Back child Support and Applied for SSI disability. Can They Take my Lump Sum? [ 39 Answers ]

Hello, I pay child support to my ex and owe $11,000 in back support. CCS takes my takes every year. I just applied for SSDI. My question is if I get approved and get a lump sum will child support take my whole lump sum? And will I still have to pay monthle child support?

SSD backpay is owed but SSI cheated me from lump sum backpayment? [ 17 Answers ]

Judge at hearing found me fully disabled. I was told backpay for SSD would come in 60 days. Instead when SS did call they never identified SSI and sent me only a small portion that is to come in 3 installments over 18months. I never received SSI back when, but now it shorts my dependents benefit...

Back pay received for 2007, 2008, 2009 should I do a lump sum for 2009 [ 1 Answers ]

Received Social Security Back Pay in lump sum for 2007, 2008 and 2009. Should I amend 2007 & 2008 or should I include all on my 2009 return deducting the fee I paid out for lawyer. My wife was on unemployment all year 2009, I have 2 small pensions.

Investing A Lump Sum? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello to you and yours. I am in the process of receiving a low to middle six figure settlement. I am a 30-something, married, and one child. We would like a portion to go directly to a Roth IRA for which we have none, and we want a portion of 25-40 percent to be used as a monthly income for us to...

View more questions Search