Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmn2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 06:21 PM
    Child Abandonment/Parental Rights
    I have a 21 month old daughter with my soon-to-be ex husband. He has not seen nor had any contact with her for 16 months. I have a protection from abuse order on him, but he has been allowed supervised visits since she was born, just never taken advantage of that. We live in Maine. My current boyfriend has been there for my daughter since she was a month old and she thinks of him as daddy. He wants to legally adopt her. My ex has 3 other children as well that he barely sees and does not support. DHHS opened a case for my daughter when she was born because her father had just been arrested for drugs and burglary, and he was very abusive. He never cooperated with them. They closed the case on me as soon as I put the PFA on him because there was no danger from me and I cooperated fully. He also had a case opened on him and his mother about 2 of his other children. We are now in the process of getting divorced and he wants shared rights and visitations. My daughter does not know him at all and I know that she is in danger with him because of drug use and lack of supervision. What I really want is for him to go away and not have anything to do with us, as he has been doing for her entire life up until now. Is there something I can do? File for abandonment or somehow have his rights relinquished?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2011, 06:30 PM

Abandonment doesn't apply a you are unlikely to get his rights terminated at this point. Are you asking for child support as part of the divorce?

You should be trying for no visitation or supervised visitation at the least. And definitely go for support whether you think he will ever pay or not.

When you marry your fiancée you can then apply for him to adopt. You can offer to drop support if your ex agrees to the adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NC-grandma has 2 boys,filing abandonment-termination of parental rights [ 9 Answers ]

I know one of the other members had written responses about this, but I had looked this up last year, and I think in NC after 18 months or something like that, an absent parent CAN lose his (or her) rights, if they can't be located to come forth and fight for their rights. My grandsons are 3 and...

Parental Rights/Abandonment Laws [ 3 Answers ]

My best friend is 8 months pregnant and at first the father told her that he wanted to stay with her and continued to tell her that he loved her and a few months later he stopped staying in contact with her and she has no way of getting in contact with him. She found out a couple months ago when...

Can my ex's parental rights be terminated on the cause of abandonment? [ 3 Answers ]

Can I get my ex's parental rights terminated? I have not heard from him since he moved almost 2 years ago. He moves all the time and owes over $7500 in back child support. Sometimes I receive payments and can go months without payments. The fights with the courts go on and on and just as soon as...

Child abandonment/ termination of parental rights/ step mother adoption ? [ 2 Answers ]

MY husbands exwife give birth to his(our) daughter in Feb of 2006. He was in Iraq and she did not notify him of the birth. She was using crystal meth and the baby was born addicted. Someone notified the red cross after seeing her military ID and a month later my husband found out. The baby went...

View more questions Search