Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommazz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Name change for son
    I would like to change my sons last name, he was given his bio fathers last name 14 yrs ago but his bio father is NOT on the birth certificate nor has he ever been involved since he was born. Clerk of courts said I still have to track down his bio father and send him a summons/request for permission. Is there any other way without trying to contact the deadbeat?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2011, 05:11 PM

No, an attempt has to be made to find him, and after you prove you did everything possible ( to court rules) if he can not be found, normally you can the try and do notification though publication, but it is harder and costs a lot more and will almost for sure require an attorney.

The child can wait 4 more years till he is 18 and change it without fathers ( or your) permission
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 18, 2011, 05:12 PM
    After 14 years they may not allow a name change. Also how is he a deadbeat ? Just not seeing the child doesn't make him that.

Feb 18, 2011, 05:42 PM
    We don't want to wait until he's 18, once he entered Jr. High they required him to go by his legal name whereas for the prev. 13 yrs he used my name on all school docs. And none of us like
    It. I'll retract calling him a deadbeat and call him an irresponsible Father who has made no attempt to be any part of his child's life although it is one in the same in my eyes.

Thank you for the quick answers, guess I'll start by tracking him down then.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 18, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommazz View Post
    We don't want to wait until he's 18, once he entered Jr. High they required him to go by his legal name whereas for the prev. 13 yrs he used my name on all school docs. and none of us like
    it. I'll retract calling him a deadbeat and call him an irresponsible Father who has made no attempt to be any part of his child's life although it is one in the same in my eyes.

Thank you for the quick answers, guess I'll start by tracking him down then.
    Do you have report cards for the child showing you used the other name? Your going to need proof when you go to court so it looks consistent. It will help your case a lot. Good Luck.

Feb 18, 2011, 09:45 PM
    I'm sure I can find some old reportcards or even yearbooks with my last name under his pictures. Thank you for the tip!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change my son last name [ 15 Answers ]

I have a three year old son and his sprem donor hasn't help at ALL( Only two cans of formula). When I found I was pregnant we split up and he said he would be there for the baby. So In the mist of the split up I met my fiancé. I was about 8 week at the time. When I had the baby the sprem donor sign...

Change my son last name? [ 1 Answers ]

I want my son to use my last name not his father his father is not in his life and I don't get any help from him on the birth cert he has his father and mine last but I was using his father I can't change it in the school what should I do he dose not know his father I don't know where he his.

What I do to change my angry son? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have 9 year old son (middle child) and he has some very serious pulmonary health issues. He is also classified in school with learning disabilities (mainly comprehension). He had a very dramatic childhood with delayed speech, hospitalizations and a life long physiotherapy to keep him...

Son wants to change last name [ 3 Answers ]

MY 17 year old son wants to change his last name to my maiden name. How does he go about it? He will take the my maiden name to go on. He is the last of relative of my father who is gone now and I'm the only one that had the last name until I married. My children now have my husbands last name. My...

View more questions Search