Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DLHLBR Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Wet Weather-Starting Problems
    I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado V6 pickup truck. It starts and runs very well, except when the weather turns wet. After a hard night of rain it refuses to start. When I finally do get it to start, it runs rough for the first 5-10 minutes, then everything is perfectly OK and it runs normally. The problem started about 1-2 months ago. I've been told it's likely the distributor cap or something in the electrical system, but the cap was replaced along with the wiring about a year ago. It's a pain to get to, so I haven't removed it yet, but from what I can see it appears fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jan 18, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Clean the spark plugs so they are free from grease/dirt on the outside. Occasionally the dirt is enough to allow the spark to track to chassis. Occasionally happens in older cars, maybe that's the prob. Worth a look
    DLHLBR Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Thanks for the response-I'll check it out, but the plugs were also replaced within the last year, and I'm not sure how that would relate to problems only in wet/damp conditions.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Keep spark plug wires clean and spray them with silicone spray. It helps prevent the electrical system from grounding out, due to moisture. Electricity finds the shortest path to ground and moisture can allow secondary voltage to discharge somewhere besides the plugs. It's also good technique to use silicone dielectric grease on spark plug terminals and other key electrical connectors; e.g. ignition control modules. Just don't use it on any sensor connections, especially oxygen sensors.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Jan 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Distributor caps are not airtight sealed so it can be somewhat common the symptoms you are having in the wet weather.
    You likely have the electronic HEI {high energy ignition} distributor. It may not be easy
    To get at but periodically you need to remove the cap and check the condition of the
    Brush,rotor, tower terminals,connections at the ICM {ignition control module} {igniter}
    And where wires enter the cap.
    It only takes a little moisture or corrosion at these areas to cause problems.
    Also as mentioned above use dielectric grease at electrical connections and plug terminals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Honda civic ex starting problem in cold, wet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Civic EX (2 door) that has a strange problem. When the weather is good - dry and warm, it starts and runs without any problem. But it won't start when it is wet or cold. I can not start the car in the morning and have to wait until the afternoon. I have changed the spark plug...

Starting problems [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 1983 Toyota Camry, the problem is when the temp gets more than 60 outside it will not start, it just turns over and over like there is no gas, only there is. I've checked the fuel pump and replaced the fuel filter. Early in the morning or after 9p.m. it starts and runs perfectly. Anyone...

91 civic starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, my 91 civic hatchback dx suddenly quit while driving--as if it ran out of fuel, and I couldn't get her going again. The usual dash lights work when key turned to position 2 and the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. The check engine light does not come on. The starter turns the motor over...

94 mondeo starting problems [ 1 Answers ]

This problem started as intermittent but has got much worse, so I now feel lucky when my car starts. When I turn the key, the dash lights come on as normal, there is a noise under the bonnet like a fan whirring, but no spark, so the engine doesn't turn over. I used to just have to turn the key a...

Short circuit by wet weather [ 1 Answers ]

There is a GFCI is always reset when it is raining. Is there any way/tool which I can find out where exactly is the short circuit? Regards,

View more questions Search