Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Knowledge Seeker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 01:24 AM
    Per Diem for Contractor
    I am employed by a VA based staffing company and at present I am working as a contractor at CA. I hold H1B visa and my legal status in the U.S. is non resident alien. Due to nature of my job, I am required to relocate at least twice a year. My question is that if I am working on an assignment which is for less than a year, am I eligible for per diem rate? If yes, what rate is applicable for CA? Please note that every time I get a new project, I completely relocate and don't have a permanent residence.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 18, 2007, 10:23 AM
    Knowledge Seeker:

You ARE eligible to claim the per diem rates as specified by the IRS. You can download the latest set of per diem rates from Internal Revenue Service.

As for your residency status, you may or may not be a non-resident alien. It depends on when you entered the country.

If you entered the U.S. anytime before 1 January 2006 on that H-1B visa, then you are a resident alien and must file Form 104o with Schedules C and SE. You are liable for the self-employment tax which is calculated on Schedule SE.

If you entered the U.S. anytime on or after 1 January 2006 but before 2 July 2006, you are a dual-status alien and must file Form 1040 with Schedule C and SE AND Form 1040NR as an attachment to document the income earned before you entered the United States. This is a complex tax return and I strongly recommend you get professional help to file it.

If you entered the United States on or after 2 July 2006, then you are correct, you are a non-resident alien and should file Form 1040NR with a Schedule C. In this case, you are NOT liable for the self-employment tax.

If you wish to use my professional tax service, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is per diem taxable? [ 18 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if per diem is taxable? My brother took a job this past year and half his salary is per diem, as he travels daily. He receives a monthly expense allotment for which he submits receipts. His per diem is for meals and accommodations only. Of course, he has asked me to...

Per Diem and W-2's [ 1 Answers ]

I had been advised in the past to include per diem to my drivers on their W-2's. Can anyone tell me which line item the per diem amount goes on the W-2? Do I have to list this amount as Per Diem paid on the W-2 also? I am assuming so but just not sure where exactly to put the amount paid to the...

Getting insurance as a contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have no health insurance because I just started working on a contract basis. How to I get insurance as a contractor? I don't make much so I am looking at the cheapest option

H1B and per diem and no w2 [ 1 Answers ]

H1B holder basic salary is paid in home country by home country employer who is in joint venture with H1B sponsor. Visa holder receives per diem amount in the US. He has not received any W2 or the like for 2005? What is his income for filing? Can he exclude the per diem payment? He is not from a...

Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a...

View more questions Search