Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpadron1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 04:41 PM
    How would I journalize unearned service revenue still unearned?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2011, 07:58 AM

When you receive money for a service to be performed later the journal entry will be:
    Debit Cash for the amount received
    Credit Unearned Service Revenue

After you provide the service the journal entry will be:
    Debit Unearned service Revenue for the amount earned
    Credit Service Revenue for the amount earned.

A prime example is for a magazine subscription because you pay for your magazine in advance for a certain time frame.

From your question I take it that you are given an amount of Unearned Revenue at the beginning of an accounting period and another amount at the end of an accounting period. The difference between the two amounts is the amount of Unearned Revenue that has been Earned, so you need to do an adjusting entry to bring your Unearned balance to the actual Unearned balance.

An example you have unearned advertising revenue of $1,000 and at the end of the period you still have $200 of unearned revenue. First you need to calculate how much unearned revenue is earned during the period. So $1,000 - 200 = $800 of unearned revenue that has been earned. Now that you know how much unearned revenue was earned during the period you can now do the adjusting entry to bring your unearned account balance from the $1,000 balance to the actual balance of $200. Your adjusting entry will be:
    Debit Unearned Advertising Revenue for $800
    Credit Advertising Revenue for $800
    csan1098 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 06:25 PM
    How do I post this in an adjusted trial balance?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2011, 06:56 AM
    Your adjusting entry will be:
    Debit Unearned Revenue
    Credit Earned Revenue

This is to get your unearned revenue that is earned during the period that has not been previously recorded as earned revenue.

The adjusted trial balance is done after your adusting entries have been made and is done to make sure your credit account balances are in balance with your debit account balances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unearned Service Revenue STill Unearned. [ 5 Answers ]

If the Trial balance says Unearned Service Revenue Cr. 12,560 The adjusting entry says Unearned Service Revenue still unearned, $800, how do I enter this?

Unearned service revenue still unearned is it a debit or credit [ 2 Answers ]

Prepaid rent still in force $400 but on the trial balance sheet it states prepaid rent 2,700 do I subtract -debit 400 or credit 400

Unearned Service Revenue still Unearned journal Entry [ 1 Answers ]

I have unearned service revenue still unearned in the amount of 6,500 although my trial balance reflect $8,900. To make a journal entry would this be correct. Unearned Service Revenue 2400 Service Revenue 2400

Unearned service revenue [ 1 Answers ]

Unearned service revenue still unearned

View more questions Search