Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nens517 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 04:07 PM
    A friend and I were evicted from a apt. I was on the lease she wasn't can I sue her
    In 2006 A friend and I lived in a apartment together I was on the lease and she wasn't do to her poor credit and not working but receiving public assistance. We got evicted. I have a $4,600 judgment against me and now my net wages form work are being garnished 25% which is $300 - $350 bi-weekly, being $700 mo. She is not being held responsiable at all as she was not on the lease.She however did make payment arrangements directly w/ the apartment complex for her portion of the rent along w/ providing them money orders. I want to take her on Judge Joe brown for a small claims to get half of the judgment plus fee's and interest. Do you think I have a case or since she was not on the lease I will loose.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2011, 04:13 PM

You can try and get in front of Joe Brown or one of the other TV judges.

If you can prove that she lived there, then you have a good case for recovering her share of the unpaid rent in a real court.

The only kicker is whether the statute of limitations has passed.

Feb 17, 2011, 04:29 PM

I was also worried about that. But I was not sur if it would be w/in the time frame as the garnishment just started 2 months ago. I am going to check into the statute of limitations... Thanks for the response Scott Gem... gives me some hope. :)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nens517 View Post
    ... Do you think I have a case or since she was not on the lease I will loose.
    No. Yes.

You signed the lease. She did not. This means that she never agreed to a long-term rental with the landlord, or with you.

If the judgment against you includes past-due rent, you might be able to recover 1/2 of the past-due. But I suspect that it also includes some of the balance of the lease term. She is not liable for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... the only kicker is whether the statute of limitations has passed.
    It would begin running from when her last rental co-payment was due from her; not from when your wages were first garnished.

Feb 17, 2011, 04:37 PM

Mmmm kay... :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My job blamed me for stealing money, then they found out it wasn't me can I sue? [ 5 Answers ]

It was my day off and my boss called me to come in to work cause they needed extra help. When I got there the DM told me to talk to him and he said to me that the night I closed the store that the depoist was missing and when he looked at the camera he said that I acted like I put the money in the...

Being evicted from Illegal Basement. Can I sue my landlord for Food expenses? [ 3 Answers ]

The city is making us move out by the 13th. They already took our stove out and won't let us use the microwave (its ours so they didn't take it). The inspector said that it needs to be gone by the 12th but we can not use it to cook any food whatsoever. So we have been eating out for all of our...

Evicted before the lease is up [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's landlord is trying to evict her, or have her start paying hirer rent. On the lease it says the price of 600/month is good until 4/1/10. She is telling her to start paying more or get out on 4/1/08. I'm planning to pay the rent on the lease, and see the landlord in court to dispute the...

Apt lease [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove my name as a co-signer from a apartment lease??

Friend saw me in a place I wasn't [ 5 Answers ]

Not sure where to ask about this Today my friend, who I trust and was dead serious, said that she saw me in the school corridor walking past, said hi to me, and that when she looked again, I wasn't there I actually was in a different part of the school at the time, but she was dead certain that...

View more questions Search