Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilson.seven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Dual Status Aliens
    I want to know if I file Dual Status Aliens (form number 1040) will I able to apply standard deduction which US citizens apply. If no then what do I take as Standard Deduction.

Please do let me know complete details about this.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 9, 2011, 02:12 PM
    As a general rule, dual-status aliens CANNOT claim the standard deduction; they MUST itemize.

This is covered in IRS Pub 519.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual-status aliens and tax treaty benefits [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am a French citizen and I entered the US in December 2008 as a Research Scholar (J-1). I have been exempted of federal tax withholding for a while, by claiming benefits granted to researchers under the France/USA tax treaty. Then I got married to a US citizen in April 2009 and...

H-1B Dual status aliens [ 3 Answers ]

Hi In October 1st 2009 my visa status was changed from J2 -> H-1B (The H-1B was approved in April 2009). My question is if I wait until the beginning of April 2010 (so than I will be considered as a resident since I've got this status for more than 183 days, and it's before April 15th), can I...

Taxation of Dual Status Aliens [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm a bit confused about the instructions given by the IRS on taxation of Dual Status aliens: Taxation of Dual-Status Aliens There is a section that says: "For The Part of The Year You are a Nonresident Alien:

H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa. I have the following questions: 1. Am I dual status...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

View more questions Search