Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BJsanchez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 03:37 AM
    Excercising / underactive sweat glands?
    Recently I have started a strict regimen of diet and exercise, but one thing Ive noticed (and have probably only noticed recently because I never ever used to excercise) is how little I sweat when I'm excercising.

My skin, especially on my arms and face, goes bright red and obviously maked me feel incredibly hot, but I get very little, if any sweat at all and it really does make excercising very uncomfortable.

Im 23, and I'm not sure if its linked or connected in any way but I've been using topical corticosteroids for inflamed skin for the best part of 8 years.

Any comments appreciated
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2011, 04:22 AM

Hmm... some people tend to sweat more than others, while some sweat less. Corticosteroids, actually, one of its effects is increased sweating, not diminished sweating.

Be careful when you're working out the gym, however, as you can easily overheat and hurt yourself. I suggest you drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself well hydrated, and possibly, have a wet towel around to cool you down.
    abcperson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 10:25 PM
    Ask the Doctor: Help! I Don't Sweat!
    Why this could be and what to do about it

As featured in the issue of Running Times Magazine

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=17965

print mail

Q:  I have an issue that I have yet to really see addressed in any online running forums. I am a healthy 39-year-old female who currently runs several half marathons per year. My issue is that I sweat very little, even when engaging in strenuous exercise (my mother and sister have the same issue). While I do keep myself as hydrated as possible before, during and after exercise, I have a strong tendency to overheat in any temperature above 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

This is the largest issue affecting my running performance. I wonder if you have any insight into what the root causes could be and more importantly, how I can help my body regulate its temperature more effectively while running? Thanks very much.

-- Gayle, Toronto

A:  Sweating is the main way in which the body cools itself; it is actually the evaporation of sweat that results in elimination of heat. Sweat rates are quite variable; it sounds like yours is very light. Maintaining hydration is important for an adequate sweat rate, though you have already addressed this.

There are several factors that may cause a low sweat rate. The number of sweat glands may be low or the glands may be under active. A collagen vascular disease may cause a decrease in body secretions. Metabolic disorders may also affect the sweat rate. Any of these conditions may be familial. I would recommend evaluation by a physician for a medical condition causing this problem.

You can try several methods for cooling, including wearing loose fitting, light-colored shorts and a singlet. Wear a mesh cap filled with ice on your head. Wrap a bandana filled with ice around your neck. Drink cold water while running. You should also try to cool your body temperature by taking a cold bath or shower before running (think of the cooling vests marathoners wore before the 2004 Olympic marathon). Hope these suggestions help.
    abcperson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by isneezefunny View Post
    hmm...some people tend to sweat more than others, while some sweat less. Corticosteroids, actually, one of its effects is increased sweating, not diminished sweating.

Be careful when you're working out the gym, however, as you can easily overheat and hurt yourself. I suggest you drink plenty of fluids to keep yourself well hydrated, and possibly, have a wet towel around to cool you down.
    Really? What a terribly useless reply to this person's question. Why bother at all. Waste of time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inflamed underarm sweat glands [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I've been getting painful lumps under my arms for about 8 years. They are the result of inflamed sweat glands. Really, other than be a champ and suffer through, there really isn't anything I can do other than apply a warm compress until it either goes away or drains. Now I read somewhere...

Underactive thyroid and miscarriages [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is I had two miscarriages ( 1 last yr and second one this yr,just last week),I am 30 yr old female and my husband is 33 yrd old. I was trying to conceive from last seven months and eventually when I felt pregnant, I had just one spot of blood on my 6th week of pregnancy and was sent for...

Clogged Sweat Glands [ 2 Answers ]

CLOGGED SWEAT GLAND?! My cute, 5 year old, grandson has a small (smaller than the head of a pencil) bump above his left eye right below his eyebrow. When pressed it feels semi hard. His doctor says that it is a clogged sweat gland and needs to have a plastic surgeon remove. No swelling.. no...

Excercising after having mono [ 3 Answers ]

I got mono a long time ago and had to stop playing sports and stuff After the symptoms went away I started doing what I normally do but I can't anymore I was the best long distance runner on the soccer team but I could barely last a minute afterwards I trained again but I still am not close to...

View more questions Search