Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baileysmummy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 03:02 AM
    How can I change my sons name when father on birth certificate isn't biological?
    I have been to court in the past and the solcitor has offered my ex 3 chances to do dna tests on my son but he refused to turn up because he knows he isn't his biological dad, I was bullied and threated to put his name on, but now its causing allsorts of problems. The parter I'm currently engaged to has been living with me for over a year now and my 3 year old has called him dad for a while now, we are getting married next year and going through adoption to get a name change, but they have to ask my ex permission. I know for a fact he will not allow it and whether there's a way to force him to do a dna test so we can move on once and for all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2011, 04:42 AM

Have you filed for support from the legal father? Is he paying support? Your solicitor shouldn't be "offering" chances to take a DNA test, he should be asking the court for a subpoena to compel the test. If the legal father refuses, then the court should grant you a TPR by default. They probably won't do this until you submit an adoption petition so wait until then.

But you should file for child support. If he has to pay support he may be more inclined to relinquish his rights.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Your solicitor shouldn't be "offering" chances to take a DNA test, he should be asking the court for a subpoena to compel the test. If the legal father refuses, then the court should grant you a TPR by default. .
    I disagree.
    Neither the American nor the British system works in that way /excl TN,GA and IL/
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
    DO you know who the father is? He may be able to challenge the established paternity in court. From what you are describing, he is legally the father and one way to change that is to prove that someone else is the father, not to try and disprove him as the father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Father Is Not Biological Father - How Do I Change The Birth Certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 9 year old. I'm married and my husband's name in on the Birth Certificate of my 9 year old. I would like to tell my daughter who her real father is. I called her bio father and he does not want to do the DNA to see if it is his daughter. What are my options? Can he...

Putting biological father on birth certificate, and changing name back to biological [ 8 Answers ]

My mom and my stepfather are deceased and I'm an adult and want my biological father and my name changed back to his name since it was done without his consent, he is still alive and agrees. Can the courts do this?

What rights has an absent father who's name isn't on birth certificate got ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got an 8 week old son, I split up with my partner after I had the baby, he's name is not on my son's birth certificate I don't get any money from him he has not seen him for over a month and has had very litte contact since he was born. Now he say's he's going to a family lawyer to see what...

Does my child's father have any say if he isn't on her birth certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

My child is 5months and she has my last name, and her dad isn't on her birth certificate. He wasn't around during my pregnancy and he decided not to be on her birth certificate. He would come around after she was born and for the past 4 1/2 months he was buying formula and diapers. But then out of...

Wanting to change sons last name father not on birth cert and not in sons life [ 10 Answers ]

I need help my son is almost 3 and his father will not sign the birth cert and will not pay child support and will not give up his rights I am a single mother who has kept myself off welfare because they will go after him and. I am not wanting anything from him, I am just wanting to take his last...

View more questions Search