Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2011, 08:27 PM
    Waste pipe above an electrical panel.
    Hi guys:

I am wondering if you can quote me the exact NEC requirement for waste pipe/water pipe clearances ABOVE an electrical panel? I want to run a 2" waste pipe in a joist bay just to the right of an electrical panel... see image below. The pipe continues in the joist bay until it connects into a waste line 5 feet past the electrical panel. The distance between the top of the panel to the bottom of the joists is 12".

Can I do this... hmmm?

I appreciate the help!

Mark
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 16, 2011, 08:46 PM

Hey Mark,

Long time no hear from you. Sorry but my Code Book is out in the car.

First I would need to know whether your area is using the new NEC 2011 or still using the NEC 2008?

Next, chuckle - chuckle, the NEC code does not and will not require a wast pipe over the panel!

I know there are minimum height requirements but I cannot give the exact distances. Also, I know there is a requirement to place a drip pan above the electrical equipment to protect the equipment in case of a leak.

I'll let you know the exact heights tomorrow morning. I believe that the area from floor to 6'6" above the panel is protected. I just want to get the correct height for you.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 16, 2011, 09:20 PM

Mark,

I found what I was looking for in a notebook I have.

NEC 110.26(F)(a)- requires a dedicated space to a height of 6' above the top of the equipment down to the floor. There can be no foreign systems in that space.

NEC 110.26(F)(1)(b) - "Foreign Systems can be located above dedicated equipment space if protection is provided to prevent damage from condensation, leaks or breaks in such systems."
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2011, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the help Donf... that's what I needed!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the code for a waste pump basin near a breaker panel [ 6 Answers ]

Thank you. Im installing a waste pump in the basement for a new toilet and wash tub. Can I put the waste pump in the basement floor by my breaker box is there a code or problem with this?

Does the overflow pipe have to be directly over the waste line pipe in the subfloor? [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing a new tub in the exact spot the old tub stood, but the drain in the new tub is in the center of the length of the tub instead of the end like almost every other tub out there. (Its freestanding like a clawfoot tub but with a pillar base. -made for 2 people) We need to move the...

A new waste pipe - is this right? [ 3 Answers ]

I added the waste pipe located at the front of the attached picture 1... The vertical arm on the left of the main waste pipe was already plumbed for future connection as was the vertical pipe on the right coming down from the second floor (you can see it in picture2). Can anyone verify that this...

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

View more questions Search