Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markthetrucker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 01:24 PM
    Is it a bad idea to cook a roast in a mason jar ?
    Would a chuck roast shoved into a mason jar then sealed break in the oven if set at only 275 ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2011, 01:35 PM

Most likely. The boiling point of water is 212 F... some pressure raises that point... but a mason jar is glass and isn't rated for much pressure before it shatters.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2011, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by markthetrucker View Post
    would a chuck roast shoved into a mason jar then sealed break in the oven if set at only 275 ?
    Hello mark:

Of course it would.

But, if you want the same effect, you vacuum seal the roast, and put it in water set at the temp you want the food to be. That's called sous vide and it's the coolest new way to cook food.

excon
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello mark:

Of course it would.

But, if you want the same effect, you vacuum seal the roast, and put it in water set at the temp you want the food to be. That's called sous vide and it's the coolest new way to cook food.

excon
    But... sous vide isn't done in glass jars... thats done in vacuum sealed plastic bags.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

How to cook 10lb beef round sirloin tip roast? [ 12 Answers ]

I found many recipes, but tey were all for 3lb roasts. Any help is appreciared.

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

Mason jar lids for 'Bush's baked beans' [ 1 Answers ]

A friend gave me a dozen mason jars from "Bush's baked beans.' The diameter is standard width, but the throat is longer than standard. The Ball Co. said they could not help me. Any ideas out there? Thank you.:rolleyes:

Mason jar lids [ 3 Answers ]

I need to find where I can buy just the lids to some mason jars that I bought. I'm so stupid and forgot to check and see if the lids were in the boxes. I bought 24 jars and I'm doing a project for christmas gifts and now I don't have any lids. And I just can't take them back since I got them at...

View more questions Search