Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanimarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Cosigner Requirements
    Does a landlord have to run credit on your cosigner, even if they are offering 3 months worth of bank statements, own their home free and clear, and cars too? My grandparents are willing to cosign for me and guarantee that rent will be paid, but they do not feel comfortable giving out their social security numbers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alanimarie View Post
    Does a landlord have to run credit on your cosigner, even if they are offering 3 months worth of bank statements, own their home free and clear, and cars too? My grandparents are willing to cosign for me and guarantee that rent will be paid, but they do not feel comfortable giving out their social security numbers.

Does the landlord "have" to? No.

Is the landlord entitled to do a credit check on you and any cosigners? Yes.

Their guarantee would be worth nothing if they have bad credit.

I would suggest that you look for another apartment which would not require a cosigner.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
    Credit checks are a click away, whereas submitting papers (banks, etc) can be faked, so would need a lot of work to verify.

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 12:21 PM

It is totally up to the person who is accepting the paper work,

If this is for a loan, and though a bank almost 100 percent

But why are they worried about their social numbers, they are risking losing their home, their credit and more if you don't pay this loan.

Next most likely they will need the social security numbers since if you don't pay, they will need them to properly sue the grandparents for payment
    Ilike Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Feb 18, 2011, 12:02 AM
    The Landlord wants to have their SS#'s and yours in the event you fail to pay the lease or damage his property. Their names and signatures are of "little" use if they need to send it to collections or small claims. You would be better off finding a Landlord that wasn't so savvy with the paperwork. Goodluck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being a cosigner [ 3 Answers ]

If you apply to be a cosigner for someone and never actually sign the lease, you only fill out/sign the application are you still responsible for missed rent or damages?

How to get out of being a cosigner [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I helped a so called friend cosigned a loan for 7500.00 two years ago, now they have been late and over due payments seven times now. Is affecting my credit every time. I just got another call today about 29 days late. I do not talk to this person any more. I cannot afford to take over...

Cosigner for apartment [ 1 Answers ]

I cosigned for an apartment. What happens if the tenant does not pay the rent? Do I have any rights?

Cosigner [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is lilj my questions is well my mom cosigned on my car .I put the down payment on the car and I been paying the payments on the car. She tell me that she coming to get my car from me can she really do that to me after all I paid on car.

View more questions Search