Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 15, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Old plaster ceiling cracks
    I have an old house,(1865), an I want to paint the bathroom ceiling. The ceiling is plaster in pretty good shape except for the hairline cracks, the old paint is sticking not peeling and I just want to freshen up the look.do I try to skimcoat the cracks or just paint over it? Anybody have any experience here? I don't want to damage the ceiling just freshen up the look.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 09:18 AM

Since you said "hair line" cracks, I would fill with a paintable, flexible caulking (such a bath and tile caulking). Since caulking shrinks as it dries, I would fill, scrap off flush with the plaster, let dry and do it again.
    oneexception Posts: 92, Reputation: 10

Feb 15, 2011, 09:53 AM
    There should be no problem skimming your ceiling before painting. It has held up for the last 145 years, it should hold up a little longer.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2011, 10:24 AM

Use Dap lightweight spackle to fill crack. Force into crack, let dry and sand. Dap does not shrink.

If ceiling is painted with semigloss or gloss paint, rough up surface with 200 grit sand paper.

Prime and paint.

Chuck
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 15, 2011, 11:49 AM
    The cracks are all over the ceiling so fixing one at a time in not possible..
    I tried to add pix but I am missing a security cookie? I have them but can't upload.
    Like I said, the ceiling is in good shape so I guess skimcoat is the way to go
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2011, 01:28 PM
    If none of the skim coat options work, consider overlaying 1/4" drywall.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2011, 06:23 PM

If the whole ceiling has these minor cracks, it would be best to follow Brian's advice in post#6 and cover with sheetrock. There is a very good possibility that paint on ceiling has lead in it. If u cover with sheetrock, this will encapsulate the lead.

Chuck
    nateinnc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2011, 07:13 PM
    Use a red masonry sponge float to work in and smooth over a paintable caulk. Double check, once caulk has cured, to make sure cracks are filled, add more if not. Light sand if needed then paint. This system is not recommended unless you're going to paint over it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My house has cracks in walls and ceiling; one ceiling crack is 1/4" wide. [ 4 Answers ]

The house is on cement slab, about ten years old.

Patching cracks in drywall and plaster walls before painting [ 0 Answers ]

What do you charge for patching cracks that are caused by a homes' foundation being compromised by construction going on from an attached house. The construction consisted of the previous house being totally gutted and eliminated to build a new structure. Some of the cracks are worse than others...

Cracks in ceiling and walls [ 6 Answers ]

I have lived in my home for 5 years and over the last year have noticed some small cracks appearing in the ceilings and walls. ( built in 1951) The cracks run straight across the across the ceilings and have appeared in similar locations on opposite sides of the house, i.e guest bedroom has crack...

Plaster Ceiling Repair [ 8 Answers ]

While working in the attic I fell between the rafters and cracked the plaster ceiling in the room below. The ceiling now sags between the rafters and I want to lift it up level and repair the cracks. Does anyone have a suggestion for raising the ceiling? Thanks for any ideas.

Cracks inside extension right through plaster and breeze block [ 4 Answers ]

I really could do with a bit of advise. We bought our house last year and all fine. The house had an extension done approx 10 years ago. The extension is 2 storey kitchen/diner and upstairs double bedroom. Yesterday we decided to decorate the bedroom (currently our 4 year olds) she had big double...

View more questions Search