Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    western50 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 08:12 PM
    newton's second law

Two wooden crates rest on top of one another. The smaller top crate has a mass of m1 = 24 kg and the larger bottom crate has a mass of m2 = 91 kg. There is NO friction between the crate and the floor, but the coefficient of static friction between the two crates is μs = 0.79 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the two crates is μk = 0.63. A massless rope is attached to the lower crate to pull it horizontally to the right (which should be considered the positive direction for this problem).

1. The rope is pulled with a tension T = 285 N (which is small enough that the top crate will not slide). What is the acceleration of the small crate? 2.478m/s^2

2. In the previous situation, what is the frictional force the lower crate exerts on the upper crate? 59.478N

3. What is the maximum tension that the lower crate can be pulled at before the upper crate begins to slide? 891.2385N

4. The tension is increased in the rope to 1319 N causing the boxes to accelerate faster and the top box to begin sliding. What is the acceleration of the upper crate?
    how can I get this one?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Feb 14, 2011, 08:31 PM
    What's the force of the kinetic friction between the two boxes? Since that's the only horizontal force acting on the upper box, once you know it you should be able to easily calculate its acceleration using Newton's second law.

And by the way, I agree with your answers for the first three questions. :)

Feb 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
    The kinetic friction is 0.63 between the blocks, but would you show me in detail on how to get the answer?

Feb 14, 2011, 09:03 PM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    The kinetic friction is 0.63 between the blocks, but would you show me in detail on how to get the answer?

Feb 14, 2011, 10:19 PM

That's the coefficient of kinetic friction. The actual force is that number times the normal (downward) force due to gravity.

And again, once you know the frictional force, you can compute the acceleration using Newton's second law, F=ma.

Can you take it from there?

Feb 14, 2011, 11:29 PM
    But how can I take the 1319 N into account?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 08:49 AM

F=ma. The 1319 N pulling force must equal the sum of the mass times acceleartion for each box:

But you really don't need this. The acceleration of the upper crate is determined by the force of friction between it and the lower crate:

Feb 15, 2011, 09:03 AM

Exactly as ebaines said. It's irrelevant whether it was 1319 N or 1000000 N. Either way, the force was great enough that the upper crate slips, so it's only being accelerated by the frictional force.

If the question was asking you about the acceleration of the LOWER box, then the 1319 N would be needed, but not for the upper box.
    illinihawks Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 09:10 PM
    How would we use the data from the question and part 4 to find the acceleration for the lower box given a tension of 1319 N that will cause the upper crate to slip?

Thanks!
    illinihawks Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 09:30 PM
    Comment on illinihawks's post
    Nm just realized all I had to was ebaines said and set T = m1a1 + m2a2. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About newton's law of gravitation [ 1 Answers ]

How newton used to calculate the force of gravitation between two objects before value of G was known?

Newton's second Law of Motion [ 1 Answers ]

The two blocks are moving with a v of 90 km per hour. A) how long does it take for the blocks to come to rest. (they are attatched together horizontally by 2 cables Mk= 0.03, Ms= 0.08. Mass of box 1 = 20kg, mass of box 2 = 40kg) b) how much force does each of the cables tolerate?

Newton's 3rd Law [ 2 Answers ]

When a horse pulls on a cart, the cart pulls on the horse with an equal but opposite force. How is the horse able to pull the cart?

Newton's Second Law [ 2 Answers ]

I need help understanding how to solve this problem F=ma if: how much force is needed to acceleratea 1000-kg car at a rate of 3m/s-squared I don't understand the steps involved. Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search