Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SerendipityM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Why would new vinyl siding develop curves and no longer be flat soon after install?
    Install is over asbestos shingles and is just a few months since it was put up.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2011, 08:10 AM

If the nails were put in too tight to allow the panels to float with temptature changes since it expands and contracts, it will do that. Or if they were cut too long and they butt up against the corner trims preventing them from floating or allowing them to expand it will do that.

You should contact the company that you paid to install them.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
    If you are in a northern climate, this winter has caused vinyl issues. The siding shrinks with the cold and the nails stop the shrink and the siding bows. OR, as Smoothy says, the nails are too tight. You should be able to slide vinyl siding back and forth a bit.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Feb 15, 2011, 01:25 AM
    Try to slide the panels back and forth. If they don't move they were nailed too tight or cut too long like Smoothy said. My vinyl siding has been up 22 years and still slides back and forth and has never bowed.Did they install foam board underneath the siding?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Securing vinyl shutters to vinyl siding [ 1 Answers ]

Vinyl shutters were recently installed to our vinyl sided home. The instructions that came with the shutters say that you should not tighten the screws too tightly or it will restrict the expansion and contraction of the siding. I noticed that our shutters are secured very tightly to our siding...

Easy to install doorway transition for vinyl to vinyl on concrete? [ 2 Answers ]

We used to have carpet in the basement and we replaced it with wood-look vinyl. The green tile look vinyl was damaged somewhat when the carpet to tile transition was removed. The two vinyl types are pretty flush and the area needs a pretty wide transition I'd say. I'd rather not fasten anything...

Siding Repair - Which do you prefer Hardie Plank or Vinyl Siding? [ 1 Answers ]

I am actually someone who is looking for tips on renovation. This month I am planning on doing some siding repair. I am currently using vinyl but I was wondering if it would be advisable to still use vinyl and just repair my siding or would it be better to replace it with hardieplank? Please if...

How much does it cost to install vinyl siding in New York [ 2 Answers ]

How much does it cost to install vinyl siding per square 10ftx10ft in New York state

Installing vinyl siding over cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to install vinyl siding right over top of cedar siding?

View more questions Search