Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earnmoremoney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 04:49 PM
    WACC Question: What weight to use for debt when computing WACC
    Can someone assist me as to how to approach this problem:

Suppose a firm has 12.2 million shares of common stock outstanding with a par value of $1.00 per share. The current market price per share is $15.50. The firm has outstanding debt with a par value of 72.0 million selling at 101% of par. What weight would you use for debt when computing the WACC?

I am lost as to where to begin. Pleas advise.

Thanks.

EM
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Feb 14, 2011, 06:21 AM
    In order for the WACC to give an economically meaningful measure, you want to weight the individual capital structure components by their relative market values.

If I have a bond issue outstanding that's currently trading at $1,500,000 (total) and outstanding stock with a market value of $750,000, the WACC weights for the debt and for the equity are 2/3 and 1/3, respectively.

Hence neither the face value nor the original issue price of the debt is relevant---unless of course the debt is so recently-issued that it's still trading at, or very near, its issue price.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Component cost of debt for purposes of calculating the WACC? [ 1 Answers ]

a company's 6% coupon rate, semiannual payment, $1000 par value bond that matures in 30 years sells at a price of $ 515. 16. The company's federal-plus-state tax rate is 40%. What is the firm's component cost of debt for purposes of calculating the WACC

Calculating WACC [ 4 Answers ]

James Corporation has compiled the following information on its financing costs: Type of Financing Book Value ($) Market Value ($) Cost (%) Long term debt 5,000,000 2,000,000 10 Short term debt 5,000,000 5,000,000 8 Common stock ...

WACC Importance [ 2 Answers ]

Why is WACC important to an organization?

View more questions Search