Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Motochick Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 12:32 PM
    Training an older dog
    I have a 7 year old dog who I rescued. When she was a puppy she had three really bad diseases (which I can't remember the names of right now), but she had to get lots of surgery and shots for them. I didn't want to scare her when she was young because of this trauma so I never trained her. Now I am regretting it because she keeps digging holes under the fence and getting out, but she keeps coming back as soon as she gets out. I think she is just getting bored. She is extremely strong and healthy now, so I am trying to train her how to walk on a leash so she can have something to do. The problem is that I can't get her to be comfortable on the leash and she doesn't know what to do. She keeps laying down and I can't get her back up because she is a big dog. She is my first dog and I am fourteen, but I want to show my mom that I can do this. Please help me teach her how to walk on a leash without laying down.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 13, 2011, 02:54 PM

I think you can do it but it will take time, hard work and patience. You are going to need to teach her that you are the leader and that following your orders is a good thing.

How long have you had her? If you have had her since she was a puppy, who was responsible for her training before now?

Do you have any idea what breed or mix of breeds she is? Knowing what the dog's instincts are geared toward can make it easier for you to figure out how to motivate her.

What type of collar and leash are you using? You want a leash that is between four and six feet long. Nylon or leather with a good strong clasp. If she is a big dog, you want to make certain that if she pulls the clasp doesn't break. I would recommend a regular collar and a type called a head-collar or halter (looks a lot like a horse halter). Two main types are Haltee and Gentle Leader. They come with instructions. It is safer than sliding (choke) collars or martingales for people who are just learning. Plus, if you can control the dog's head, you can control the dog. It will take a bit getting her used to it but you are already having to get her used the idea of the leash.

Where are you trying to train her? I recommend starting indoors where the dog feels safe.

Does she know any commands at all such as sit, lay, etc. Does she play games with you?

Does she like food or toys? Does she love being petted? Does she like investigating noises? Food toys and touch are rewards like getting an A on a paper for you. Using her natural curiosity can get her motivated to move. Making strange noises might make you feel weird but if she responds, it's worth it.

When you put the leash on her do not jerk on it or try to drag her. Hold a treat just out of her reach and let her move to get it. She gets the treat when she takes a few steps. Keep doing that but making her go farther to get the treat as she gets used to the idea. Instead of a treat you can use noises. Get her used to walking around the house with you as you go about your chores, etc. As she gets better, start taking her out in the yard. Then down the road as she learns to obey you.

A couple commands:

Let's go/come-means that she starts walking with you or in the direction you are going.

Heel-means that her head/shoulder are even with your left knee and almost touching you. When you stop she should sit and stay until you give her another command or start walking again.

Side-means the dog is close to your side but is more relaxed than 'heel'.

Teach her to sit when she reaches the sidewalk/road and not to move until you tell her to. You check for traffic-she doesn't.

If your mailbox is at the road, having her go with you to check the mail can be a good learning exercise.

Feb 13, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Thank you. I have had her since she was a few months old after all her treatments. My whole family tried to play with her when she was younger, but she is definitely my dog. She is a big dog and I am not sure exactly what she is because she is a mix and a rescue, but she has lab in her. She isn't an inside dog though so she is more comfortable outside. I have been walking her around in the backward on a harness... or trying to. I am only fourteen and I weigh about 89 pounds so I need to keep her inside a fence for a while because she is almost double my weight and I couldn't hold her back if I used all my might. Thank you for the help though. This is a good start.

Feb 13, 2011, 07:01 PM
    Comment on Motochick's post
    Backyard*
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 13, 2011, 07:08 PM

I am glad I could give you some help. There are others who may have more tips for you.

Definitely look into the head-collar. They also make harnesses that help keep a dog from pulling.

If you need any more advice about her, just keep posting in this thread. We will try to give you as much help as we can.

Good luck and lots of patience. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog training [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get my 4 1/2 month old shorkie to stop eating off the ground and sniffing everything on the ground and just go outside and take care of his business?

Dog training [ 3 Answers ]

So we took in a lost dog and had put up flyers and ads everywhere to see if his family would contact us. It's been three months so we've decided we are going to keep him. He looks pretty young (probably under a year) and he likes to tear things up and jump on people. If it weren't for that he's...

Potty Training an older Dashound [ 1 Answers ]

I recently resuced a sweet dashound from a local humaine society. He is approximately five years old and he is not housebroken. At first I thought I was lucky because he seemed to be going outside but as of late he pretty much relieves himself whenever and where ever he pleases. How can I train...

Training older doxie [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 year old Ziggy, the doxie, was lonely when I went back to work. So I was lucky to get a new 3 year old female to keep him company. They are best pals. However, the former owners lied to me when they said she was housebroken! Zelda is the sweetest little doxie, but will go to the bathroom...

View more questions Search