Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flymanansh Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 11:55 AM
    What is the identification number?
    Hi

My wife and I would like to have a joint tax return for 2010. Because this is the first time for us to file return jointly, we need to prepare a statement according to PUB 519. In the statement, we are required to provide our names, address and identification number of each spouse. I was wondering what the identification number here mean? It is the employer identification number on our W2s?

Thanks

Jian
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 02:39 PM
    No, the identification number to which they refer is your Social Security Number (SSN) or your Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).

If you are submitting a Form W-7 to GET an ITIN, you put "ITIN BEING APPLIED FOR" on the statement.

If you need professional help filing your return, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Individual tax identification number [ 3 Answers ]

If I have a ITIN, can my husband claim me on his taxes

How do I retrieve my lost federal identification number? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I retrieve my lost federal identificaion number for my small business?>

EIN Employer Identification Number for W2 [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I know that we have to wait until we get our W2's before filing our taxes this year, so using your last paycheck stub does not work. So I thought I would search and find out if I could view my W2 online and get a copy instead of waiting for my employer to mail it. If you knew my employer then...

Tax Identification Number [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a tax identification number to start a home-based business?

View more questions Search