Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawnbailey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Ganish an incorporated business
    If a business fails to answer writ of garnishment, the garnishee, the business, can be garnished. What if that business is incorporated, can I still garnish the business checking account
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2011, 10:28 AM

If your judgment is against the incorporated business, then yes, you can get a writ of execution against corporate assets.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2011, 10:30 AM

Hello d:

Is your writ for an employee of the business, or did you sue the business itself?? Did you sue them as a corporation if that's what they are??

If you did, and you have a writ, then it doesn't matter if they are incorporated.. If it's an employee that you're trying to garnish and they don't respond to the court order, go back and tell the judge that this company IGNORED him. Judges don't like that too much.

excon
    dawnbailey Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 11:57 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    My ex-husband is the owner of the business, and he is an employee, he owes me 10k, and his bookkeeper didn't answer the writ of garnishment on earnings, the Business is listed as garnishee
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2011, 12:44 PM

So get the court to issue a subpoena to the bookkeeper to answer why she refused the writ.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2011, 01:43 PM

Hello again, d:

If your husband is the owner of a corporation, you can get a writ to seize the stock of the corporation. Maybe that'll get his attention.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If a Business Is Operated by Only One Person, Can It Be Incorporated? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my main question. Further, I have a number of small businesses that I operate. Can anyone of them be incorporated or maybe even all of them as a group? Does it matter the type of business that one of them might be? I'm really naïve in this particular area, but I do know...

Becoming incorporated [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking to start my own trucking co and the first step is to incorporate. Does somebody know what should I do to skip the fee for an attorney, or accountant and do it myself? That is happening in Illinois if that matters

How do I become incorporated, licensed and bonded in IL? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to start up a small construction/home improvement/general contractor type business, handling most of the construction work ourselves but contracting out some specialty work like electrical, etc. How do I become incorporated, licensed and bonded to accept and perform jobs in the state of...

Living in a state other than where we were incorporated [ 4 Answers ]

We incorporated in Arkansas but have now relocated to Missouri. How do we file taxes? I was told we could file as a foreign corporation but can't find any information on it. Would appreciate your help

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

View more questions Search