Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyurcisin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 07:59 AM
    Need help to monitor aging mom!
    I am trying to see if there is technology out there where I can monitor my aging mother in her home via a camera that is connected wither by television or telephone cables. She has no internet access and I would like to be able to access the live feed to a smart phone. Does such an animal exist? Thanks for your comments.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2011, 09:16 AM

The only way you can do this is through internet access. Do some research on nanny cams as the technology would be the same.
    summer_girl Posts: 146, Reputation: 48

Feb 19, 2011, 07:09 PM
    I think most nanny cams are just video, so there's an issue with accessing it offsite. If you would be willing to invest in the camera, just add internet even if it wouldn't be used by your mother and even if you would have to cover the cost. One system you might consider is Air Cam, http://www.senstic.com/iphone/aircam/aircam.aspx, because it sounds like what you described as your need in your question.

You don't say whether you decided to monitor because of falls, dementia, or other issues. There are some products out there for these purposes; you might remember an ad for one that's worn around the neck, "I've fallen and I can't get up". There are bracelets that can be worn for dementia notification by others who might find her, but not for tracking. Dementia progresses unpredictably, so if that would be your main concern, surveillance equipment may not be able to take the place of some kind of caregiver.

If dementia is not a concern, then you would have to consider her feelings about being under surveillance. Seniors who are still cognizant may be distressed thinking about their personal privacy (bathroom use, being undressed, sexuality) being exposed on camera. If she feels like she's on display like a zoo animal, she might not want to allow the camera. Could you limit yourself to a set number of checks per day, maybe in a neutral area like the living room or kitchen? It might really help her to deal with this if you show her you've got a lot of concern for her dignity and independence. If she can't get past a camera's eye, maybe she would be willing to do some daily checking in with you by phone.
    nyurcisin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 07:27 PM
    Comment on summer_girl's post
    Thank you for your thoughtful response Summer Girl. My brothers and I are still looking into our options. The problem is distance. We do not live close, but she is is not to the point where she needs a nursing home. She could be in an assisted living home, but we are trying to buy some time so our resources will be enough to see her through. We have considered her privacy and will only do this if she is in agreement and feels comfortable. Thank you again!

Feb 19, 2011, 07:50 PM
    Comment on summer_girl's post
    You're welcome, nyurcisin. If you're still checking options, contact the Area Agency on Aging in her city or town, which you can look up online. It would be good for you to talk with a representative to find out what services might be available that are less costly than a facility. Common options are companions or adult day care (including transportation if needed). I don't know if they could help you with real-time monitoring, but they might have some ideas on how to get another pair of eyes on her to let you know if things seem to be changing. They also excel at helping families with what may be covered expenses. They have a strong focus on advocating for seniors for independent living as long as possible, and they would be a great resource for you in planning for her needs.

Apr 15, 2011, 04:37 PM
    I remembered your question today when I saw this link. I decided to share it even though it has nothing to do with your original question about hardware and internet, because it addresses concern for seniors from a distance.

http://www.caring.com/blogs/caring-currents/caregiving-assistance-signs-senior-caregiving-assistance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Monitor works with DVI but when change to DFP monitor, it doesn't work! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre that works with a DVI monitor. There is a DFP output but when I try to use that with a regular monitor (I know it is good), I don't get any picture. I am not able to keep the DVI monitor. Any suggestions? Do I change something in bios or just get a cable the is dvi...

I don't want a dual monitor, but I don't want to use my laptop monitor. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I connect my desktop computer monitor onto my desktop replacement laptop and have it be the default monitor? I am currently using these two as a dual monitor, and have no use for the laptop screen. I want to just close it up, leave it on the side, and pretend I'm just using a desktop...

View more questions Search