Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hearladams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Paying Wedding Expenses
    What is the current view on the paying of wedding expenses by the bride and groom's parents. Historically, the bride's parents have paid for all wedding expenses, and the groom's parents paid for the wedding rehearsal dinner. Has the rule changed? Or is there even such a rule of thumb today?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Yes, there is still that wedding etiquette. However, expenses are often negotiated now. Wedding costs can be astronomical and often costs are split. I think it is really up to the couple and their respective families. For example, maybe the groom's parents really want something specific for their son's wedding, so they offer to pay for it.

Emily Post's rules are not so set in stone anymore.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Keep in mind, too, that those traditions were established when a bride would be marrying young and going straight to her husband's household from her father's. And the young man was expected to have a house, a source of income, and sufficient funds to take on this financial responsibility.

Personally, when I get married, I am going to insist that my fiancé and I cover the wedding costs. If the parents want to contribute, I will consider that a gift on their part, not something that I count on when determining the budget. My way of thinking of it is that this is the start of my life with this person, and if we can't agree on a reasonable budget, figure out a way of having a meaningful ceremony within that budget, and have the self-determination to stick to that budget in the face of tempting add-ons, then we are going to have problems down the road when other financial/emotional issues (like buying a new car or a house) come up.

And a quote that I have written down and intend to tape to my checkbook at that time: "It's about my fiance, not the marzipan doves."
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Mar 4, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Here is a very good site to help you with this:- Who Pays for What? A Guide to Figuring Out Who Will Pay for What at Your Wedding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying off OLD stuff [ 4 Answers ]

My question is: Our credit stinks - mid 500's. A series of difficult situations dropped our very near perfect score to this in a matter of five difficult years. Our situation has finally come around and we're able to make some changes in our financial picture. The question is how? We just...

Non-paying roommate [ 3 Answers ]

I am from MN as well as one of my other roommates. They non-paying person is from WA. We all signed a lease last year to rent a house from our current landlords. The house we are renting is in ND. Both me and my roommate as well as my landlords received letter today informing us that the third...

X renigging on paying [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's father ( my X) committed to a place for her wedding and all the trimmings,now he is renigging on paying all the expenses for what he promised her. HE HAS THE MONEY! He says he is going to send a certain amount of money( not nearly enough) to her sister and expects her to pay the...

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

He kept the car, but the loan he is NOT paying is in my name [ 3 Answers ]

In our divorce agreement, my X kept a car that I was the primary loan-holder on. In the last 6 months he has paid the payment late three times(this month's payment is also late). These late payments are showing up on my credit report and will cause me no end of grief very quickly. Due to an...

View more questions Search