Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nhnp12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 05:54 PM
    2nd home foreclosure questions?
    If my second home is foreclosed on, can the bank come back and take my savings and 401K to pay the deficiency amount? The mortgage is $330,000 and the home will not sell for more than $200,000 at the most now. Also, can they garnish my wages?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2011, 06:08 PM

Your 401(k) is safe, at least until you start withdrawing it.

But it is possible they can go after other assets to make up the shortfall. Its unlikely however, especially with current laws. The more likely scenario is forgiving the shortfall which then becomes taxable income for you.
    nhnp12 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post

Thanks for such a quick response. I did not mean a 401K but an IRA (Roth), also can you tell me what a fair value jurisdiction is and how do you know if your home is in one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 07:45 PM

Can they, yes most likely, will there, currently I have not seen it being done. Of course on a second home ( different than on a main residence) the amount of difference, as Scott said will be taxable, so you will end up owing the IRS a good chunk of this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2011, 07:03 AM

IRA would have the same protections.

I can't find anything on "fair Value jurisdiction" Can you give us more of a context.

If you have a follow-up question or info, Please use the Answer options near the bottom of the page rather than Comments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2nd mortgage foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

Can a lender in second lien position (heloc) foreclose on a mortgage when the lender in first lien position has not foreclosed? If so, do I have to vacate the property if the first lien holder has not foreclosed?

2nd Mortgage in Foreclosure [ 4 Answers ]

The same lender held 1st and 2nd mortgage when foreclosure was implemented. The lender purchased at auction for the amount of the 1st mortgage. Am I still responsible for the 2nd mortgage? Do I have to repay in Tn?

Foreclosure on 2nd home! Bankruptcy? [ 4 Answers ]

Oct 05 we purchase an investment home for 391k, it was a new home and we planned to make payments with a equity line on our primary home for 1yr and sell the investment home for a large profit, which was projected to be about 50k. Well, now the market went south and we still have the house, can't...

Foreclosure on the 2nd home [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California and thinking of returning my second home back to the bank because it will cause me nore money to sell . Can they run after my primary home that I'm living in right now?

1st and/or 2nd foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I recently purchased a new home and rented out our original home... within a few weeks the renters left... we are now stuck with a 1st and 2nd on the first home and a new mortgage on our new home... the first home is maxed out on equity... we can't afford a 1st and 2nd and our newest...

View more questions Search