Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Artemis87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Male cat acting kitten to male kitten after bringing kitten home neutered.
    I have three cats, Microchip, Monk and Minx. Microchip and Minx are 1+ years old and fixed. Monk is about 6 months old. All of our cats used to get along well. They'd sleep all huddled together. The two males were very close. Micro would groom Monk, play with him, and was inseparable. We took Monk to the vet about 2 days ago to get neutered. When we brought him home, Micro acted as if he's never seen him before. He's constantly hissing, growling and hiding in one of the cat hideaways. He refuses to eat and leave the hideaway for anything except going to the cat litter. Has anyone had this happen before? And does anyone have any advice on what to do?

Thanks.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 12, 2011, 07:53 PM

It's fairly normal behavior. Your cat just went through a traumatic event. He's dealing with the after effects of surgery, and the trauma of being in a strange place with strange people while it happened.

The other cats are dealing with the change in his scent, from being fixed, and the vet scent he brought home with him.

When I got my boys fixed, one of them acted like you described. He hid from everything, attacked any cat that came near him, and was constantly hissing and growling. It lasted about a week before he calmed down.

Just let him settle down on his own. Make sure he always has food and water available. Try mixing some tuna water with dry food to get him to eat and drink, more. Check on him when you can to make sure he's healing OK, and initiate whatever contact he'll allow.

If you're really worried about it, then call the vet and ask if they have any other suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Momma cat keeps bringing me her 5 day old kitten? [ 9 Answers ]

So my 8 month old cat got out a few months ago ONE time, and sure enough she got pregnant, and got fleas all at once! We bathed her w/ shampoo's and used Advantix, but the fleas came back. She then had her baby (yes.. just one baby kitten) about 5 days ago, and she now keeps bringing him to me no...

My neutered male cat carries our new kitten around [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neutered male cat who licks and carries our new kitten around. He seems very motherly to her. Why does he do this?

Missing male kitten [ 4 Answers ]

My 6 month old male kitten, Pepper, has just started into heat and has gone missing. It is very cold here in the country. With lots of hiding places, I wondered how I may go about finding him and if there is a possibility that he will find his own way home?

My Male Kitten [ 3 Answers ]

I have never had a male cat before, all mine have been females... Max is about 8months old, he has been fixed and declawed... Why is he starting to spay? I always heard they didn't do this if they have been fixed at a young age. Is there any thing I can do to stop him from doing this? Thank you:mad:

Male cat "mothering" new kitten [ 2 Answers ]

I recently got a new female kitten (7 weeks) and I was worried how our 3 years old intact male would treat her. The strange thing is, after the first day (which seemed normal, hissing and fighting) the fighting turned into playing, and now my male cat is grooming her and trying to grab her by...

View more questions Search