Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spud93 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 09:24 AM
    In the bond between a hydrogen atom and an oxygen atom in a water molecule help pleas
    Complete the gaps in the paragraph below. You may use the words supplied once, more than once or not at all.

In the chemical bond between a hydrogen atom and an oxygen atom in a water molecule; the bonding______are not evenly shared between the two atoms. In fact they spend more time in proximity to the_______atom and create a permanent______. As a consequence it is possible for hydrogen atoms in one water molecule to form a weak interaction called a______with an oxygen atom in an adjacent water molecule.
    This is one of several types of weak________interaction which also include and van der Waals forces. These weak interactions are found in biological molecules too and are partly responsible for determining their_______structure.

Covalent bonds higher-order oxygen hydrogen bond protons ionic interactions dipole hydrogen electrons
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2011, 10:19 AM

What do you think would go well in the blanks? :)

the bonding______are not evenly shared between the two atoms.
    What are shared between two atoms?

In fact they spend more time in proximity to the_______atom
    These are closer to an atom... there are only two atoms involved, Hydrogen and Oxygen. Which one do would you consider so strong that it pulls everything towards it?

create a permanent______
    Since these are not evenly shared... there are a surplus on one side and a lack of them on another side, creating a certain difference.

As a consequence it is possible for hydrogen atoms in one water molecule to form a weak interaction called a______with an oxygen atom in an adjacent water molecule.
    This should be something that you have learned about. This is a very important interaction. In fact, this is what keeps your DNA in the shape you certainly know, the double helix.

You can go on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strong force in hydrogen atom [ 4 Answers ]

It is my understanding that the Strong Force in an atom is to keep the atom from flying apart due to the natural rejection protons, being of like charge, have for each other. But the Hydrogen nucleus has ONLY ONE proton, so does the Hydrogen atom contain a Strong Force? After all, if there's no...

Hydrogen plus oxygen yield water [ 1 Answers ]

Balancing equations Hydrogen plus oxygen yeilds water

The Atom [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have a test tomorrow in chemistry about the atom and there are a few questions I'd like to clear up. Now I've been reading up on something called an "elementary charge" and I can't qutie grasp what it means. Does it mean that a single proton's charge is 1.602 x 10−19 C and a...

Atom shape [ 1 Answers ]

How does the number of electron pairs around a central atom determine it's shape?

View more questions Search