Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drakerarchy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2011, 03:28 AM
    Finger joint pain
    I have recently developed a mild on/off pain in my ring finger joint of my left hand. I am a guitar player, and I have looked this type of thing up(common for people in my field, not so surprisingly), and it looks like some type of arthritis? Ostheoarthritis? Something like that. Anyway I heard about this pepper cream on some forums that's supposed to help, and also gluscosimine. Glucosimine is supposed to have effects on diabetic people(im kind of in shape and don't have the beetis, so I'm not so concerned). My only questions are: what truth is there to this? And are there other such treatments that you would recommend above the latter mentioned question?(yes I will consult a doctor, but I always entertain multiple viewpoints on issues).
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 04:36 AM

Finger joint pain could be a type of arthritis, osteo, no, that is a more severe form of arthritis where the bone is pockmarked with holes (sort of like sponge taffy) from poor nutrition. Not very much to do with diabetes. Anyone can have arthritis at any age. Take an over the counter pain reliever like Advil on bad days. Damp weather effects it as does repetitive motion. Glucosomine is for joint rehabilitation; has no effect on diabetics. Pepper cream, never heard of it being used.

Tick
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2011, 03:57 PM
    Hi,drakerarchy, as you say you play guitar, so my guess is it's wear and tear as it's called.Maybe a touch of arthritis, which can be quite painful,your already doing what is best by keeping it mobile, otherwise it will tend to stiffen up.

Personally I have tried most meds for these conditions, I have to say by far the best is the gels you just rub in.There are various sorts around, one of which is.. iboprufen gel, same as the tablets but without the stomach irritation.If you go to your local supermarket you will find several, some of which are their own brand,cheaper but equally as good.the gel seems to warm the joint right through, be sure to wash your hands after applying, very bad should you touch your eyes.

Glucosomine took for a while, can't say I noticed any effect at all. The best thing I have taken is extra strength codliver oil.. 1000grms, I've taken for a few months now, didn't think there was any difference until I realized my legs the last few weeks were extremely painful, couldn't work out why, then I realized I'd run out of codliver oil nearly 2 weeks ago,got some more... amazing.You have to take them for about 3 months before you notice the effect.

Another tip is always try and make sure your hands are warm keeping the circulation going.wear gloves in cold weather, massage the joints with a good barrier cream.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right knee joint pain [ 4 Answers ]

In the past one week I am having sudden pinning pain in my right knee joint that lasts only for few seconds and then goes off. It happened while I was sitting idle in a bus or just on a sofa in my house. Could this be due to accidental knocking of the knee on some blunt object like table drawer,...

Swollen finger joint [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, it's me again. Another quick question. About 4-5 weeks ago I had a direct hit in kickball. Stop laughing. Haha Anyway, my shoulder popped and I was worried about that. It got better and no problems, but then I realized my finger was continuing to hurt. How long do jammed fingers last? I am...

Joint Pain Everywhere [ 11 Answers ]

I'm eighteen years old and I've been experiencing joint pain lately, and was wondering where it's coming from. It started when I sprained my ankle last month, and then my knee started swelling up out of nowhere. Then my whole leg started swelling... The pain started from my ankle and knee to my...

15 with joint pain/discomfort [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 15, and its gotten into winter now, and for some reason, my joints have started acting up... starting with the joints in my fingers feeling discomfort, sort of creaky and painful, with the discomfort extending from the joints further along from the nuckles to the end of the fingers. Then I...

Finger Joint pain [ 1 Answers ]

The index finger of my right hand has been hurting for about a week now for no reason that I can think of. I don't believe I caused it any trauma and there is no apparent swelling or bruising. However, every time I bend the finger or use it when typing the joint hurts and feels like it has been...

View more questions Search