Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msuturf29 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 08:21 PM
    What can an employer say about an employee
    I had a relationship of dating a co-worker from work and because I didn't disclose it , I was let go. I thought it was none of their business what happens outside of work. I guess not. I am wondering if they can say that I was terminated or what can be said?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 08:34 PM

Yes they can say exactly why you were let go if they want to.
    They can say anything at all about your past work as long as it is true. Most don't any longer but there is no reason they can't

Feb 11, 2011, 09:01 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Would the company say something even if it makes them look bad as an employer?
    Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 09:34 PM

I don't see why saying they let you go for dating a co worker makes them "look" bad. Many companies have rules against it. Others don't allow it within departments and so on.

They merely report you were fired, and if asked way, they state dating a co worker. That makes it sounds at least to the other company that there was a rule against it, and you and the other person violated it.

Did the other person also get fired, and if no, why not ?

Feb 14, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I am not sure. He was a co worker and I was his supervisor. I didn't know that there was a company policy that I had to disclose it to management. They made it sound like I had it was a sexual relationship when we dated for a month and they just made this whole thing more than what it was. I just think I should have quit , but I had no idea that they would fire me based on my hard work and dedication.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2011, 11:26 AM

I believe the reasoning behind the no dating policy is to protect the company from a sexual harassment lawsuit.

Since you two weren't equals, i.e. you were his supervisor, that could put you and the company in a bad spot if the relationship goes sour.

Feb 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
    Comment on Emland's post
    I just found out that he still has his job. How is that possible , when he is guilty of the same thing.
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 05:11 PM

No, if you were the supervisor, the supervisor is considered more at fault
    gomissygo Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2011, 10:40 PM
    There are several reasons for not to date supervisor, favortism, harassment,there are things supervisor knows access to confidential information and now the person dating supervisor has easy access to as well... goes on and on.. HOPE THIS HELPS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an employer divulge personal employee information to a non employee? [ 14 Answers ]

I was hurt at work and have been off for 6 weeks due to my injury. My question is, can my employer tell a friend of his that I have been off work and hurt, and missing a lot of work?

What happens when an employee does not notify the employer of a divorce? [ 3 Answers ]

The employee did not notify HR until a year after the divorce. Is the spouse still eligible for Cobra even though the employee did not notify the employer in a timely manner?

NYC employer and NJ resident employee [ 2 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and work in New York city. I know that I'm subject to New York STATE income tax. As a ny non-resident, am I also subject to New York CITY income tax?

View more questions Search