Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lulubif Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 05:23 PM
    Can the IRS attach a lien or freeze my work compenstaion settlement
    I am expecting a lump sum settlement from workers compensation. I owe the IRS and the state monies. Can the attach or freeze my settlement?
    ReverendOmen Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Feb 11, 2011, 06:35 PM
    The State has been know to put liens on worker's compensation benefits, but each state has it's own procedures, so without your location, it's hard to say. The IRS usually puts liens on property, such as your home, vehicle, etc. haven't heard of them docking comp benefits, but it's not outside of their abilities. The IRS can take what they want, when they want without reason or warning. They are one of the most powerful organizations in the US. Even though there is no real written law that you must pay income tax, they can still consider money you haven't paid them because you don't owe it to them, as a debt. America, home of the false freedom. This country grants us privileges, not rights.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2011, 11:01 AM
    If the IRS is made aware of the pending settlement, you can bet the mortgage payment that they WILL attach the wrokmen's compensation benefit.

The state tax agency will know about the award, since state agencies communicate such matters as a matter of routine, and most state agencies will notify the IRS as well as a matter of routine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the IRS attach or garnish my IRA [ 2 Answers ]

My creditor is a bank. I need to set up an IRA in order to roll over a retiree benefit lump sum. Can my creditor attach or garnish my savings in the form of an IRA?

A lien was placed against me on property I was renting it is an IRS lien and I have h [ 1 Answers ]

The IRS filed liens for my delinquent taxes on properties where I was only renting.I had no ownership in any of thses properties.Do the liens remain IRS and recorder of deeds blamed each other when I tried to have the liens removed

IRS lawsuit settlement taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I received a settlement from an insurance company because of misrepresentation (vaninshing premiums). Is this taxable?

Can the attach a lien on a prepaid reloadable debit card ? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm thinking of applying for a prepaid visa/mastercard reloadable debit card such as Rush card, accountnow etc. because my checking account was frozen sice there's a judgement against me, can they attach a lien on a prepaid debit card ? Thanks and Happy new year to all.

View more questions Search