Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angwri Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Is My daughter Insensitive?
    Hi,

My daughter is married, 24 and living with her in-laws at the moment. My problem with her is when I am speaking to her on the cell phone and she is about to enter the house (in-laws) she wants to terminate the conversation. It seems disrespectful and kind of hurt. For the first time yesterday I ask her why and she nonchalant asked 'Are you mad?' Then she went on to explain that she would feel awkard greeting whomever is at home while on the phone. Then she mentioned that should would call me back. When she call back she makes an excuse to end the conversation. I realize now that I have been calling her lately and the only time I hear from her is when she want something. Am I being too sensitive to the situation? Should I just not call her anymore and let her call me?

angwri
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Well, I do think its actually polite of her to not walk into a house jabbering on the phone. Too many people think nothing of imposing their private conversations on the people around them.

Does she live in the same area? Why don't you take her to lunch and have a heart to heart?
    TripleL Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2007, 11:59 AM
    I agree with Scott. I think it is considerate to enter or greet a person while not on the phone. Your daughter sounds like she is just trying to be polite. This sounds like it is really bothering you and talking honestly about how you feel to her would be the best way to discuss things. I lost my mother a year ago and use to get really irritated with her for calling all the time. Now, I would do anything just to hear her voice again. Time is short, speak from the heart. You may find that maybe you miss your daughter and wish she got to spend as much time with you as she now does with her in-laws. Best of luck!
    angwri Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 12:00 PM
    ScottGem,

After reading you response I think that maybe she is just being polite. I will take on your suggestion of having a heart to heart with her and voice my feelings and let her do the same.

Thanks

angwri
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 12:14 PM
    I agree with everyone else about her being polite.

When you have your heart to heart, make sure to do it in person, not over the phone. It means so much more to do it face to face.

Take her shopping, go out to lunch. Just make it a girls day out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Sensitive or Insensitive? [ 18 Answers ]

What do you consider yourself to be? What do you consider others in general? Which is worse?

My Daughter... [ 9 Answers ]

Isla Elizabeth - Born 17 Dec 2006, 3am, weighing 5 pounds 12 oz - perfectly health. She is now 3 weeks old and weighing over 7 pounds and is a right littlr character. Pete and I have been back together for a couplr of months now - he was there for the birth and isla and I are now living...

Looking for my Daughter [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 20 yr old daughter, Jennifer who 5 days ago disappeared, left everything in her apartment, quit her job and is helping her troubled fiancé hide from the cops. I don't know where she is and if I should call the cops or get involved. She could be in trouble. She is very naïve and trusting...

My 5 Yr. OLd Daughter [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 and in kindergarten. She has said she has kissed 2 boys from pre-k and talks about boyfriends. She always checks her privates out and even touches herself and smells it. She talks about boobs buttholes and penis's. She said she seen a penis sticking out of a photo and I looked at...

View more questions Search