Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenChang27 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
    Capped pipe coming out of the wall behind the drain, hot/cold water under kit sink?
    There is pipe that is capped, coming through the wall behind the drain and hot/cold water pipes below the kitchen sink. What is this pipe? It leaks slightly whenever I run the dishwasher, which of course is connected to the drain. I don't want to take anything apart when I don't know what it is.
    I put a small square container under the pipe and up against the wall to catch the drip. But also notice that the floor of the cabinet is slightly wet.

Thanks for any info.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 01:47 PM

Hi Karen...

Could be an old vent pipe they capped off.

Could be a cleanout that got capped. Here, maybe you could remove this and maybe cement it to stop the dripping.

Could you post a picture of it for us?

Let me know, OK?

Mark

Feb 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Here's the photo -
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Karen B Chang\My Documents\My Pictures\2011-02-12\copy of IMG_6173.JPG[/IMG]
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 03:42 PM

Karen, highlight that line and paste it in your brouser, what do you see?

Feb 12, 2011, 04:56 PM
    I used the 'Embed Image' button to point to the JPG file - I thought that would place the image into this comment box, like placeing an image in a WORD doc. Guess that doesn't work - do you have instructions on placing an image into this comment box?

Feb 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
    Obviously, it will go to the local C drive if the image isn't embedded.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 06:12 PM

Below the answer box are 2 options Post Quick Answer and also Go Advanced. Click go advanced and the Manage files. I am not sure after that but think its Upload.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen drain pipe adapter coming of wall is higher than disposal drain arm [ 3 Answers ]

We live in an older home. We installed a new garbage disposal on a double sink and now aren't sure what to do make it work, as the drain pipe adapter coming of wall is higher than disposal drain arm... any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Why does the PVC drain pipe in my wall knock whenever draining hot water? [ 5 Answers ]

Trust me, it's not the copper. It only does it when things are draining. Like, when the dishwasher drains it's hot water. Or, if I fill a sink with hot water, and then pull the plug. A little while after the drain begins to have hot water flow down it... it begins to knock inside the wall. I...

Water hot/cold stopped coming out of bathroom sink. [ 1 Answers ]

Two sinks in master bathroom. Water stopped coming out of the faucet in one sink - no hot or cold. Other sink works fine and all other bathrooms and kitchen water fixtures work fine. What could be the problem?:confused:

Hot water coming from cold water pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on the cold water tap, cold water comes out initially, but quickly and momentarily becomes hot for about 30 seconds, then cold again. At the hot water heater, the cold water feed pipe feels cold to the touch when I turn on the hot water faucet - which makes sense and seems normal. If...

Hot and cold water coming out everywhere but the kitchen sink [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, something weird, at least to me, is that I was using the faucet in the kitchen sink and all of sudden the water stop running.. but just in the kitchen while is perfectly running in the rest of the house! Can somebody help me?:confused:

View more questions Search