Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddy2 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 05:05 AM
    Elongated toilet tank
    Can I put and elongated toilet tank on a round base. I measured it and everything will fit. The tank is 1'6 gal flush the base I have is 3 gal flush. Buddy2
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 06:15 AM

Hi Buddy...

Hmmm... hard to say with that! The 3.5 gallon toilets were designed for 3.5 gallons, not 1.6 gallons.

I'm thinking you could try it out... only takes a few minutes to try, right? Try it and if it fails you could always buy a flapper with a foam float on it and increase the "hang time" of the flapper to allow more water to drop into the bowl.

Otherwise, I got to tell you, kohler and american standard sell some great toilets right around $120.00 and you won't have to worry about the old parts in the old toilet tank.

Let me know what happens, OK?

Mark

Feb 11, 2011, 08:02 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    To: Massplumber2008: I had to buy a new tank 1.6. I did install it and put back the 3.0gal flush parts and a new floor seal. Worked great for about 2-days. I have a toilet down stream, that sometimes when I flush it it will drain water out of the back bath toilet( The one with the new tank and old base) I flushed out the Main line to the septic tank with a Rubber water bladder 3" line.The toilet is getting 3gal. Flush but just goes down slow. I cleaned the holes under the rim and everything. The toilet was starting to do this before I had to replace a cracked tank. I used a wax seal with the rubber the alig. In hole . Just trying to cover all bases before I pull it up and see I the wax may have cover part of the hole. I ran a snake down it , but no results! Thanks Buddy2

Feb 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Made a comment to Massplumber 2008. Pushed Submit Comment. Nothing has happen . Am I doing this right? Buddy2
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2011, 01:35 PM

Don't use comment box... post reply in the answer this question box at the bottom of the page... ;)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2011, 02:15 PM
    Mark is correct with intermixing. The older bowls were flatter and larger. Newer bowls are steeper and smaller. You may not get sufficient volume to flush the toilet properly. $120 for a Cadet3. Works great.

Feb 11, 2011, 04:12 PM
    Masterplumber2008: Now I think I found to right place to answer you! I put the enlongated tank on my 3 gal base, But I put in the parts out of my old tank that was a 3 gal. flush. I now have a 3.gal flush just like I had. I cleaned the holes under the bowl rim , and put in a new wax seal with the rubber boot. I am now getting plenty of water for a good flush. The last time it pluged I ran a snake in it and got back lots of paper one of my grand-kids put in it. The paper was desentgrating and when I flushed it went down and all water levels returned to normal. I went to check out some of these 1.6 gal flush and one thing I noticed is the large hole in the Base is in different location. Some had a 2" horn and 1- even a 2 -1/4". Both of these the trap curve was not as steep.I tried the one above with 1.6 and it would not flush paper even. Also I'm about 60' from to septic tank with another bath downstream. Thanks Buddy2

Feb 12, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Massplumber2008; Just to let you know I am not getting threw for some reason I used the ask a question at th bottom of page. It is posted but I don't know if you can read or why it doesn't show up? Anyway the 1.6 gal flush tank.tank does work in the 3 gal flush. I used the 3 gal flush parts out of my old tank and it works just fine, Except one time one of the grand-kids put 1/4th roll of paper in it. I had to snake it and has worked OK sense. If you see the other answer to you I went to my local hardware etc. and I did notice that the new 1.6 gal flush has the hole in the base in the oppsite from my base. Checked out some that have a 2" horn outlet and 1- even had a 2-1/4" outlet. Both of these have a new type trap that has less of a curve to make with less water. Thanks Buddy 2
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 07:26 AM

HI Buddy...

Thank you for posting the information. Are you all set now?

Feb 12, 2011, 07:54 AM
    Massplumber2008 Mark I hope so! Just want to get your opinion on the toilets I looked at. Why do they have the base hole in the opposite place than the old 3 gal flush and the 2- I looked at 1- had a 2" horn and 1- had a 2-1/4" both had a different type trap, they had less of a bend than the others I looked at? One was the brand you mention. Don't know if I can put brands on here! Thanks Buddy2
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2011, 11:48 AM

I think you are talking about the SIPHON JET hole...

If so, they have learned a lot over the years and found that by locating the siphon jet more forward and enlarging the trapway and the flushvalve itself they could use significantly less water per flush and still end up with a really good flush!

And yes, you can post brand names here... just can't advertise your own company as being terrrific is all. Heck, everyone thins their company is best, right?

Hey, if you care to discuss more just post away and when I pop in I will respond.

Thanks!

Mark

Feb 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
    Massplumber2008: Mark thank you for your help! One thing I did learn that some 1.6 gal flush tanks will work on a 3 gal flush Base if you use the same parts as an old 3 gal flush. I'm just starting to look two the future when I have to go to those 1.6 gal flush. Guess as long as I have a bunch of the old water valves and fill tubes in my shop I just keep mine as long as I can! Buddy2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Emptied tank and cleaned toilet. Now tank runs off and on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I never had a problem and now after I cleaned my toilet and removed the water, I turned water valve back on and every time I turn a faucet on in another part of the house the darn toilet tank runs! PLease any ideas?

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Elongated toilet and seat [ 6 Answers ]

I just had my first floor toilet repalced with an elongated one that claims to be clogg proof. My problem is not with cloggs but the comfort of the seat. My kids are beating the heck out me because it is to narrow. Can I put a round seat on it or do they have one that might fit our cans a little...

Toilet tank lever breaks when I try to flush toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem trying to flush my toilet. When attempting to flush the plastic tank lever often breaks and when I use the metal tank level they often bend. The only way to flush the toilet is by removing the top and pulling up the tank ball lift by hand. What can I do to solve this problem. Thank...

View more questions Search