Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leufion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2011, 12:32 AM
    100w type A lamp using Type R bulb?
    I recently bought a type A desk lamp with a 100w max for a small aquarium. I have a 100w Type R bulb left over from a Type R lamp meant for aquariums originally and I was wondering if I could use the Type R bulb in the type A desk lamp?
    I did try it out for a half hour and I thought I smelled burning plastic from the top of the desk lamp and noticed it was a bit warm. The desk lamp is brand new, so it could be that too. Just want to make sure I am not creating a fire hazard here.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2011, 03:36 AM
    If a fixture is designed for a lamp, an R lamp should not be used.

Light and heat radiated nearly 360 degrees from a lamp.

An R lamp concentrates all light, and heat in a much tighter pattern.

Hence the smell of plastic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a name for this type of lamp shade? [ 0 Answers ]

There are lamp shades that have little stars and moons and stuff cut out of them so that when you turn the light on it decorates the walls, and I want one, but I don't know what it's called and therefore don't know where to find one. Help?

Type I and Type II Errors (Statistics and Probability) [ 1 Answers ]

A researcher studying stress is interested in the blood pressure measurements of chief executive officers (CEOs) of major corporations. He believes that the mean systolic blood pressure, of CEOs of major corporations is less than mm Hg, which is the value reported in a possibly outdated journal...

What type of bulb I've to buy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi friends, This is madhuprakash. I have toyota camry(1999 model). My car has some problem with left side break light. So,I just want to replace it. Can anyone tell,what type of bulb I've to buy? Thanks

New Fluorescent Bulb (the small spiral twisting tube type) [ 3 Answers ]

After purchasing and then installing three (3) of those new fluorescent bulbs to replace some of my incandescent bulbs, I have some questions. 1. I hear a low volume “humming” in 2 of the 3 bulbs. One is louder than the other, but there is one as quiet as a sleeping baby. Is that noise...

View more questions Search