Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tab_lloyd Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2011, 11:36 AM
    Merging two 110v independent timer sources into one single 110v output
    I have two separate 110v pool equipment timers; #1 is the daily filter timer, #2 is the longer pool heat cycle timer. I want to combine both the timers into a single 110v output to the pump/heater. Goal is to run the pump/heater when #1, AND/OR #2 timers are outputting 110v.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
    Is there one or two input power sources?

If there are two circuits as input, then your plan of having two timers with one common output will not work, without additional parts such as relays/contactors.

Can you explain why you want to do this?
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Feb 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
    What timeclock are you using?
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Feb 11, 2011, 12:55 PM
    EXACTLY what does each timer control.

e.g. timer one turns on the pump on what speed. Timer two turns on the same(?) pump on the same speed along with a gas heater??

Feb 11, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Comment on Dr_Spa's post
    Timer #1 runs the (single speed) pump for normal filtering operations.
    Timer #2 runs the same pump plus the heater for the longer heating cycles
    This is a vacation rental house, renters are consistently confused about pool operation, I'm trying to make it easy for them without spending $4000 on a computerized control with a million confusing buttons. With the above configuration, on the output side from the heater timer, I can insert a 110v~110v relay operated by a 24hr countdown timer button so if someone presses the button once a day, they get heat, otherwise, just normal filtering operations. Brain dead simple and no tech support calls for me! Thanks.

Feb 11, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Comment on chaosmaster1's post
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3150801&CAWELAID=201989504

Feb 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    It's a single power source split parallel through two timer switches and recombined back into a single source. See above for why I'm trying to solve this in this way.

Thanks all!

Feb 11, 2011, 06:03 PM

Feb 11, 2011, 06:17 PM
    OK provided it works as is now you should just transfer the wires from the one timeclock to the other since the one time clock(heater) is connected to the load side of the pool pump timer reason why I say that is because a heater cannot run without the pump being on due to flow so just unhook the heater and wire it up to the pool pump timer. I would like for you to post a picture of the current setup so that I can make sure that I am correct

Feb 11, 2011, 06:30 PM
    Comment on chaosmaster1's post
    Currently, this is not the configuration, to save time, let's assume this diagram is the goal. Timer B turns on the heater AND pump via the relay, so the pump and heater always function together. Timer B turns off at 6:00, Timer A turns off at 6:30 ensuring that when heat cycle is used, there is a proper cool down flow to the heater. For argument sake, can you tell me the answer to the question in red on the diagram? Also open to other suggestions, but please start there. Thanks so much for your help!

Feb 12, 2011, 08:19 AM
    You would need something like a jbox to hide the wiring but yes I suppose it could be done. The most critical thing is that only one timer can be on at one time or else you risk a electrical fire or you'll keep tripping the breaker. Any ways connect the out put wires on both time clocks and output a single set of wires to the pump and that should do what you want. As long as your connections are good and everything is grounded and bonded pro perly you'll be OK
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2011, 07:26 AM

You can keep each circuit separate.
    Have the first timer power the filter pump and to a relay/contactor, then have the contacts of the contactor wired across the second timers line and load. Each pump will always be powered by its own breaker. Then have a disconnect/switch before each pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110v timer on 220v hwh line ? [ 1 Answers ]

Will installing a 110v timer on one leg of a 220v line to the hwh work?

220v > 110v [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a hot tub from my deck that was wired 220. Before I cover up the hole I'd like to add several 110 outlets around the deck. How do I wire those into the box that the hot tub was wired to?

Two 110v. To one 220v. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to change two 110 v. circuits coming into a garage to 220 v. to run an air compressor..

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

Running a 110v Sw off a 220v pool timer [ 5 Answers ]

Help, I have a Pool timer that is wired 220V for the pool pump. I have a separate 110v wire that was switched from my guest house to turn the pool lights on. There is a short in that wire now, possibly a wire breakage in the cement from shifting? Anyway, I've since unhooked it. My question...

View more questions Search