Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sheah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
    Abandonment
    My daughter is 19 with a four month old son. She lives with me and her father. We as grandparents take care of him mostly. My question is that how long does my daughter have to be gone in order for it to be considered abandonment. If she states that she will be home at a certain time and doesn't return at that time how long do I have before calling the police to file abandonment charges on her?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2011, 07:49 PM

Sorry does not work like that, she is gone, in most states in the US, abandonment is where she lives child at walmart or somewhere and drives off.

She has provided for the child and the child safety by allowing you to watch her.

So she has done nothing criminal,

You can use this as a reason to file for custody or guardianship of the child in family court to attempt to take her rights away

But you call a family attorney and file in court not the police
    KitKat59 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2011, 08:22 PM
    I understand were you are coming from. My Daughter leaves her 4 year old twins with me and is gone for weeks. Won't answer her cell phone and I have no right to even get the medical attention if the were to need it. Grandparents have no rights. Need lawyers and fight in court. Then what happens You have to prove unfit parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment in va [ 1 Answers ]

He pays childsupport he has visitation right and I have custody he's changed his number and I have no way of getting up with him he refuses to give me his new number the only ways is with his girlfriend which we do not get along and she has nothing to do with our son as far as I'm concern and...

How do I get my ex for abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old son that his father doesn't really want to do with him. The only time he ever calls is to yell at me and try to make me drop the support order. He doesn't want anything to do with him and not to pay anything. Now his new wife and him call me and harass me about things and then...

Is this abandonment? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in 1996 and I haven't seen my wife right after that (1996 or 1997). So can I file for abandonment... because I can't find her... and if so HOW? Or should I just file for a no- fault? Please Help I'm ready to get this over with. Thanks.

Abandonment.what can I do [ 3 Answers ]

I have a one year old daughter and her father has not been in her life since I kicked him out of my house after she was born because I was not going to support him. My dilemma is the lawyer I talked to said that they won't take his rights away and I am not sure why. I figure this is straight...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas been living hear for 7 months my ex lives in Arizona I've had my kids for 2 years and she has not seen them in 2 years since I have been gone she has had one abortion and now she is giving a baby up for adoption I need to know if this fuls under abandonment in the state of Texas

View more questions Search