Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonshineal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 05:40 PM
    If job is offered & accepted is it considered a legally binding verbal agreement?
    My husband has worked for one company for the last 12 years. There are several stations in each state, for the last 6 yrs he has worked out of Missouri. He spoke with the station manager in Nebraska in July about transferring to that station at the start of the new season which would be March of this year. After speaking several times and the Nebraska station manager following up with the Missouri station manager it was agreed that he would begin up there this March. Today we were told that the main office has hired someone for the position that my husband was suppose to be getting and that he is now out of a job. Could this be considered a breach of contract on a verbal agreement?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshineal View Post
    ... suppose to be getting ...
    It's "supposed to be getting". Sorry. Can't help myself some times. Common mistake. People hear the phrase all their lives, but since the "ed" precedes the "t" in the next word (and since the letters "d" and "t" sound nearly the same), they are unaware the "ed" is supposed to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshineal View Post
    ... Could this be considered a breach of contract on a verbal agreement?
    The problem is that, even if it is a breach of contract, the contract didn't say (I'm assuming) if your husband was guaranteed a job for any length of time, or what grounds the employer would need to terminate him. Therefore if, pursuant to that hypothetical contract, your husband showed up for the job and worked one second before being let go, he wouldn't be entitled to anything but pay for that one second.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a verbal rental agreement legally binding in Ohio? [ 0 Answers ]

I live in cincinnati Ohio with my older brother. I've lived here for at least six months and I've paid 200 dollars a month to him in cash for rent. I've got no receipts for rent or anything like that. His name is the sole name on the mortgage, so I am just a tenant. I never signed a lease or...

Is a verbal lease still legally binding in RI? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently entered into a verbal lease renting an apartment in RI. The landlord tried to "self-help" evict me and only gave me 48 hours to vacate the premises (which is illegal here in RI in any case. I was told (by the landlord) that a verbal, month-to-month lease was not legally binding,...

Is verbal lease legally binding? [ 2 Answers ]

I verbally agreed to move into a house with roommates for the months of June and July. I have not signed a lease, only a background check/ contact info sheet. I have since decided to change my plans, and have no moved into the property. My month-to-month agreement was for June and July, and now,...

Is a verbal agreement legally binding in the state of PA? [ 4 Answers ]

Perhaps I had a verbal agreement to pay a loan that the parents of my now ex-wife had taken out for us. Now that we are not together any more, for more than three years, and I'm still paying this loan payment, am I legally bound to keep doing so, or not? I know the moral thing to do would be to...

Is a verbal agreement legally binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My father-in-law is visiting us in Arkansas and was considering moving here. He looked at some homes for sale, and made a verbal offer (no realtors or paperwork involved) on a house. The seller counter-offered, but would not come down far enough. My f-i-l never signed any paperwork or offered...

View more questions Search