Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJ828 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 07:46 PM
    Newly married with income from two different states.
    Hi,
    We got married in May 2010. Prior to our marriage I was working in LA for couple of months last year. After marriage me and my husband are staying in MN. I have no income from MN and my husband has income only from MN. We would like to know how should we file our taxes, Jointly or Separate?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 08:09 PM

You can file joint return.
    For MN return, your husband is resident and will report all his income. You are part year resident and does not have any MN income.
    For CA return, you are part year resident and have CA income. Your husband is nonresident and does not have any CA income. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    robinad Posts: 86, Reputation: 8

Feb 16, 2011, 03:32 AM
    I would ask an accountant or tax preparer who knows the tax code and what will get you the best breaks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married, living in different states: dividing capital gain income [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for eight years and have always filed married/jointly (and lived in the same state - currently CA). In August 2010, I will move to CT to begin graduate school, but she will remain in CA to finish her own graduate school program. Thus, for our 2010 federal return we...

Newly married... I don't Love my husband.. Need help? [ 27 Answers ]

I feel I have come to a point of desperation in my relationship. My husband and I have been married for all of 18mnths however I feel I've fallen out of love with him. We have had a rocky first year with quite a lot of family strife and troubles and in our first Christmas as man & wife I found...

Newly married [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got married and my new husband knows about me contenplating filing for bankruptcy. My question is how will my filing bankruptcy going to effect his credit. I live in the state of Illinois so I need to know about Illinois law in this matter

Newly married - Wife (F1) - How do I file? [ 5 Answers ]

I got married in September 2006 and although I've been supporting my wife since the beginning of the year, my wife officially moved into my home in early October. She is currently F1 staus with no social security number in we are in the process of applying for staus change to permanent residence. ...

Newly married to non-resident, need tax help! [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently married and my husband is not from the U.S. He has begun his application process for residency and work permit, but this process takes a few months, so in the meantime, I am supporting him. How does this effect our 2006 tax return when we file? Is there anything I need to know?...

View more questions Search