Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SplicerService Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 07:19 PM
    Canadian self employed person working in the US
    A self employed Canadian citizen with home and business address in Canada running an LLC there is performing maintenance and selling spare parts (of US origin) permanently for several US companies in California. Her has no employees. His wife is his accountant but I don't know if she is employed and appears on his payroll. He rents a store with a small office in California too.
    His customers are producing merchandise for the US market only. He fixes their production machines.

He meets all B-1 visa requirements to work in the US according to the following Website http://www.nafta-visa.com/b1.html except these:
    His business and his activities in the US are neither temporarily nor international.
    He sends the invoices (in US $) from Canada to his US customers, to their US address from where he gets paid by check in US $, mailed to his Canadian address.
    He doesn't fill out any US tax form.
    On the W-9 form he gets from his customers he crosses the entire page out and writes with big letters "we are not an US company."
    He doesn't fill out a W-8BEN form.
    He receives the entire amount of the invoice in full with no withholding.
    He makes more than $15k/y (he receives about $200k/y)
    He has no professional US license.
    He has no city license.
    He has no Californian reseller's license.
    He charges no sales tax in California.
    He doesn't pay Federal- States- Community- Sales- or Income tax in the US and therefore competes easily with local US companies and self employed people.

The Canadian Government in Ottawa doesn't recognize his LLC.

Is this all legal? If not, are his customers, the US companies, also at fault as they don't withhold any taxes?

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find where a person is employed to garnish their wages? [ 6 Answers ]

How can I find out where an individual is employed ? So that I can garnish his wages for a court ordered debt he owes me?

We are canadian and working in California now we are planing to go back [ 0 Answers ]

My family planing to go back to canada ,but we have no idea about moving company rates, are they charge us by the weight or by the capacity ,also we are going to pack everything by ourself so any suggestion for getting low rate and reliable moving company ,because one of top mover give us...

Tax Withholding/Forms for Canadian Intern Working in California for Summer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the tax withholding/rules for a Canadian citizen/resident who will be temporarily working at a US firm for the summer? I am not familiar with the new amendments to the Canadian/US tax treaty Thank you

Is it possible to be exempt from federal witholding as a full-time employed person? [ 4 Answers ]

My friend and I are both nurses at the same hospital making the same income. On our first paycheck I had $440 taken out for federal witholding but my friend didn't even a federal witholding bracket on her paycheck, so she didn't have any money taken out except for SS and medicare. We both claimed...

Working in PA on a H1B Visa. Canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I am currently working on an H1B Visa for a non-profit. I am a Canadian citizen and been working here since the start of Sept 2006. Which Non Resident form do I fill out for federal income taxes? Is it the 1040EZ? Also, must I fill out a (PA) state income tax form as well? As a H1B...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.