Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    echorvr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Independent contractor travel for project work
    My son has a business (registered in his home state) providing services for the movie industry. He is an independent contractor, hired on a project (per-movie) basis, and most often has multiple clients at one time. He has occasional travel to meet with clients and perform other business-related tasks. But the question is this: One of his clients required him to be on the job in California for a few months. He traveled out there to be on-site, living in temporary quarters. His company is located in his home state (not California). Many questions: What expenses are deductible as business expenses? Travel to/from California? Meals? Temporary housing? Also, how are state taxes computed? Will both California and the home state require taxes? He also traveled back to his home once during that time (for Christmas). Any deductions there? This whole thing might also be complicated by the fact that he vacated his apartment here to go to the project in California. Will that make it look like he relocated to California?

Time for him to get a real accountant, I guess.

Check out some similar questions!

I am F1-student working as an Independent Contractor and I would like to work as full [ 1 Answers ]

Time employee as well as Independent Contractor... can I work?. and I want to pay all the taxes... *** answer me..

I am on my OPT. Can I work as an independent contractor? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a foreign student and currently on my OPT. I have been offered a contractor position from a consulting group for 3 months. The agreement states my title as an independent contractor Can I accept this? Can I work as an independent contractor on OPT?

I Work for An Independent Contractor, Will I get a 1099 or a W-2? [ 3 Answers ]

My friend got her license to be an independent contractor and she hired me as her helper, she's very professional and paid me by using her business check every month last year but she never deducted anything for any kind of taxes. Will she need to pay taxes for medicare and ss and what form will I...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.