Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Piggley Winks Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 11:04 AM
    Need to Pay Tax for Mutual Fund "Change in Investment Value?"
    I have 2 mutual funds. I did not take any money out from them in 2010. Also, I did not sell any of them. But, there are positive "Change in Investment Value."

I called my mutual fund company. They told me that in my case they are not required by law to send me any tax document but they said they cannot answer tax question.

My question: Do I need to include the change in investment value when I file tax?

Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggley Winks View Post
    My question: Do I need to include the change in investment value when I file tax?
    No. The change in investment value is called an "unrealized" capital gain, meaning you have an investment that you could sell at a profit if you wanted to, but have not yet decided to do so. Once you sell the investment it becomes a "realized" capital gain. You pay taxes only on realized capital gains (and deduct realized capital losses). So as long as you keep your mutual fund holdings without selling them, you have no gains (or losses) to report.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is investing money in mutual fund better than investing any other investment ? [ 0 Answers ]

Mutual fund is growing in india sloly but steadly so do other investment but for a good return on investment with only 500,000 rupees in hand which are the available options for the investment.

Make me understand in laymans english what is mutual fund investment? [ 1 Answers ]

I have no clue about investments.I want to know how much and where to invest as a start. If someone could kindly help me in knowing and understanding of investmenst , it would be great. Thanks Leonora

View more questions Search